Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
Sighting in with a pin sight... >

Sighting in with a pin sight...

Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Sighting in with a pin sight...

Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Spike

Default Sighting in with a pin sight...

New Bowhunter here. So from videos iv'e found like this one below, it doesn't seem too complicated to sight in a pin sight, just takes some time.

So at 10 yards you adjust the entire sight by moving it left or right and up or down according to where the arrow lands. At 20 yards, I want to then move the individual pins right? Was alittle confused by the video. If at 20 yards, the arrow shoots high, I would want to follow the arrow and also move the pin high correct?

I just want to make sure im doing it correctly before I screw the whole thing up.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've got the right idea about following the arrow. However, as you gain more experience you'll find that today's compound bows shoot flat enough that there becomes no real use for a 10 yard pin. There is usually only about an inch difference in POI, meaning when using a 20 yard pin to shoot 10 yards the arrow will only hit about an inch higher.

Good luck and enjoy the sport.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Spike

You want to move the pins in the direction you are hitting. It can be a bit confusing at first especially if you were a rifle shooter before.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Spike

Both answers to your question is correct. Your best bet is to go to an archery shop. There they can watch your form, and show you how to use 2 anchor points. The way you anchor is critical to being a good shot. I tried the multiple pin sights and did not like them. If you can get a sight such as a HAA single pin adjustable. Gets all the other pins out of the way. As said earlier with the bows of today to use multiple pins is a headache.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 5 fixed pin sight as I shoot Field (10 thru 80 yds) & target (60-50-40 yds) & cannot move my sight once tournament starts in my division. I have them set 20-30-40-50-60 but going to 25-35-45-55-65 this year. Hunting, I rarely shoot over 40 yds (like never). Multi pins don't both me..
Attached Thumbnails Sighting in with a pin sight...-archerytgt.jpg   Sighting in with a pin sight...-yt08.jpg   Sighting in with a pin sight...-kostka8.jpg