Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Is there a way...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is there a way...

Is there a way to keep my arrows from going through my target fully? It's getting old and I am tired of digging arrows out of the tree it is hanging from.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

Get a feed sack, some old plastic screen and stuff the bag full or use plastic for filling, works and will stop most arrows from passing through..
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ah, the problem of the Frequent Archer

It was, in my mind, always ingenious to devise targets for the archer market, that had few target points on the target surface. Instead of "destroying" the whole target, the designers get the archer to destroy one fairly small part. Absolutely ingenious.

Of course, you couldn't have target points over the whole target, and increasing target points, unfortunately, since that requires greater accuracy on the part of the archer. And how much accuracy can a generally used target require?

I've made homemade targets for decades. Inexpensive, with at least dots for five target points; spreading out the impacts of arrows; rotating the moveable foam panels so the arrow holes don't continue to line up perfectly; extending the life of even a cheaply made target.

Unfortunately, my targets are so cheaply made, no self respecting manufacturer or user would stand to have them on the market or on a target range. There's a price to pay for the $1000 archer and I find few solutions for those problems.

How could you take a cheaply made target and tell a sophisticated archer that it represents a deer?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

My nephews came over to shoot their bows and, since they were new at it, I assumed misses would equal wasted time and lost arrows. I built a cheap frame out of 5 pieces of 1" PVC and set it up like a tent frome behind the target. I hung an old blanket over that. The wild shots hit the loose blanket and just fell to the ground. No search or lost arrows.

You could probably hang a blanket over the back of your target and hold it there with weights. The arrows will stop behing the target. No cost either!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine
It was, in my mind, always ingenious to devise targets for the archer market, that had few target points on the target surface. Instead of "destroying" the whole target, the designers get the archer to destroy one fairly small part. Absolutely ingenious.

Of course, you couldn't have target points over the whole target, and increasing target points, unfortunately, since that requires greater accuracy on the part of the archer. And how much accuracy can a generally used target require?

I've made homemade targets for decades. Inexpensive, with at least dots for five target points; spreading out the impacts of arrows; rotating the moveable foam panels so the arrow holes don't continue to line up perfectly; extending the life of even a cheaply made target.

Unfortunately, my targets are so cheaply made, no self respecting manufacturer or user would stand to have them on the market or on a target range. There's a price to pay for the $1000 archer and I find few solutions for those problems.

How could you take a cheaply made target and tell a sophisticated archer that it represents a deer?

Uh? I'm confused.

I think his question was how to repair a target in a way that the arrows didn't pass through.

Our archery club uses the Morrell Eternity Outdoor Range. We usually have to recover them once a year. They use a combination of burlap, plastic bags, and netting. Being a public range, we cannot dictate shooters aim at all of the spots, so invaribly, the center spot will develop a hole.

We have found that we can stuff old torn up t-shirts in the shot out holes and recover the target. The tshirts are spongy but won't grip the arrows.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Some of the new inexpensive field point targets use the same t-shirt material in the center and wrap it with a foam cover. I have also used the plastic stuffed burlap. The trick is to pack it well. I actually stand inside bag to pack down the plastic.