Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
3d Course Questions... >

3d Course Questions...

Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

3d Course Questions...

Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default 3d Course Questions...

I am planning on hitting my first 3d course this weekend but I just had a couple questions.

First off, what are the typical ranges for targets? Right now, I'm pretty comfortable at 20 yards (which is all I plan to shoot when I actually go hunting), but beyond that, I get a little sketchy.

Second, the targets don't seem to have backstops obviously, so what happens if I miss? Do I just go fishing for my arrow after?

So yeah, basically, I just kinda want to get an idea of what to expect before I take the hour drive and such.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

Okik, good for you for recognizing your personal limitations when shooting at a live target. That's one of the toughest things to discipline yourself to stick with.

As for 3D, you'll enjoy it immensely and become addicted. Our typical distances range from about 15 yards to the occasional 60+/- and an average shot is probably about 28. If I remember right, the maximum under IBO rules is supposed to be 50. So you'll eventually have to expand your comfort zone as well as get skilled at judging yardage.

You're right about no backstops. Yes, you'll have to go hounddogging for any arrows that miss the mark. Even if you see them hit the ground, they often end up a lot farther away than you expect. With other groups behind you, you will have to limit your initial search to a reasonable time. All shoots have a 'found arrow' bucket and following groups will often stumble across someone else's wayward arrows; be sure to check the bucket before leaving for the day.

Oh, the distances I mentioned pertain to compound bows. There will be another set of stakes for archers shooting traditional equipment, so if you're doing that, you'll be much closer.

Have a ball.

Last edited by Canuck_2; 08-03-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Canuck_2
Okik, good for you for recognizing your personal limitations when shooting at a live target. That's one of the toughest things to discipline yourself to stick with.

As for 3D, you'll enjoy it immensely and become addicted. Our typical distances range from about 15 yards to the occasional 60+/- and an average shot is probably about 28. If I remember right, the maximum under IBO rules is supposed to be 50. So you'll eventually have to expand your comfort zone as well as get skilled at judging yardage.

You're right about no backstops. Yes, you'll have to go hounddogging for any arrows that miss the mark. Even if you see them hit the ground, they often end up a lot farther away than you expect. With other groups behind you, you will have to limit your initial search to a reasonable time. All shoots have a 'found arrow' bucket and following groups will often stumble across someone else's wayward arrows; be sure to check the bucket before leaving for the day.

Oh, the distances I mentioned pertain to compound bows. There will be another set of stakes for archers shooting traditional equipment, so if you're doing that, you'll be much closer.

Have a ball.

Canuck, thanks for the very informative reply.

I called the place that I am planning on going to this weekend and I found out that there are stakes from 10 yards all the way to 50, so I'm wicked psyched to go now that I know more of what to expect.

Speaking of Trad Archery, I have become quite fascinated with Instictive Shooting for quite a while now and I'm thinking about picking up a Longbow down the road; they just seem wicked fun to shoot -- plus there's something very satisfying sending an arrow exactly where I'm looking at almost as if I just used Jedi mind powers lolz! Hell, I'm tempted right now to just take the sights off my compound and just shoot it instinctive Fitzgerald style (after all, I was shooting it instinctive without any sights or rest for 2 weeks when I first got it).

Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Canuck_2

Have a ball.
Thank you for this acknowledgment and for sharing your information.

modern entertainment furniture | le corbusier furniture