Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

What Does it take?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Does it take?

What all does it take to make a Course?

We want to make one here in my county.

We found a nice set of woods that isn't hunted and there isn't much there.

So what does it take to have a "ok" 3D Course?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What Does it take?

ORIGINAL: Chasebaker

What all does it take to make a Course?

We want to make one here in my county.

We found a nice set of woods that isn't hunted and there isn't much there.

So what does it take to have a "ok" 3D Course?
There are many things that make a solid 3D course.

*Nice targets, either McKenzie's or Rineharts. I'm personally a Rinehartguy. Stay away from cheap targets, like R&W.

*Nice land to put it on

*Keep lanes trimmed plenty, if people are hitting limbs and stuff they get frustrated quick and might not come back.

*People like easy courses, but don't make them too easy. Start them out easy but make them harder the more shoots you have.

*Treat people well, word of mouth is the best advertisment

Those are just a few key points.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Courses do not have to be long to be tough.Hiding feet/heads is a real killer for many judging yardage.Putting targets back in holes is another tough shot.AND,my favorit,the double that has a small deer about 3-4 yards behind a MUCH larger one and set them back about 31 to 36 yards in a tunnel.Just don't have too many doubles,they will bunch shooters up on the range quick.

As mentioned,good clear shooting lanes,remember that some of these guys shoot everyweekend and sometimes several courses in a weekend.They do not want to worry about breaking EXPENSIVE arrows shooting through tree limbs.They will quickly erase that course from their list and move on to the next one.

Go to as many as you can and see what others are doing.

AND have as many of the classes as possible(you will not be able to have all the classes because there are so many.)and abide by the rules of the ASA OR IBO and you will have abetter turnout.

If you want the trashy shots,FINE,just make a class for it and call it a toughman,then the shooter has the choice.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing.

TFOX mentioned IBO or ASA. I would personally use which ever venue is most popular around there. You could always go with McKenzies, with the universal scoring, that way you could alternate if you wanted. The new McKenzies are nicer than the old ones. The new foam is softer and holds up better. The 12's and 14's are smaller with thinner lines as well. I noticed that this weekend at the London ASA.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well..the closest range that is open daily is 30mins away...I shot it sunday and will be shooting it tomorrow.

It is IBO...I love the place...

TFOX..If we do make a Course would you come over before we open it and tell us whats a no no and wat to add, because your not too far from us.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best courses around here also have concession stands halfway through, and usually serve a full-blown lunch at the end, buffet style. Make sure you've got plenty of watering stations scattered throughout the course as well.

Get a big dry-erase board so that you can list all the shooters who enter as they pay their registration fee; that way, when you come off the course, you can see where you stack up against the other shooters who've already finished.It's always nice to know immediately without having to bug the guy taking the scorecards, and you can quickly see if you should hang around to see if you're going to have a chance of going home with some hardware that day.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

good idea Greg
Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Chasebaker

Well..the closest range that is open daily is 30mins away...I shot it sunday and will be shooting it tomorrow.

It is IBO...I love the place...

TFOX..If we do make a Course would you come over before we open it and tell us whats a no no and wat to add, because your not too far from us.
I would be glad to as long as time allowed.

Ball schedule is a bear right now.[&:]
Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

tell me about it!

I'm going back to Little creek Archery Tomorrow to learn more about the course.

How many Acres of would do you thing I need for a course. I want to start small mabe 15 targets.I'm not going to hold big shoots until we get the hang of the small stuff.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

How far are you from Little Creek? I've shot that a few times this year...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.