Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Here's my plan...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Here's my plan...

I was visiting one of our local shops yesterday and saw one of their 3d targets that they were selling off for $30... it was a grazing deer, and it wasn't as shot up as some of their targets I'd seen the last time I shot their course.

Since I'm planning on ramping up my 3d efforts over the next couple years, I decided to snag it. My plan is to grab another four or five when I come across them at all the shops I visit or ask about them at the shoots I'm at, and build my own little mini-3d course out behind my house to practice on daily. I figure I can paint some rebar pieces and make my own stakes, and arbitrarily move them up or back to change up the course every couple days.

I know the very first one will go right across the creek that cuts through my back yard... Below is a pic I took of it when our big ice storm came through a couple months ago. You can see the creek directly behind the little bench I built there, and the woods picks up right after that; my yard stops about 20 yards or so into the woods. There's probably 100 yards or so before the golf course, and it runs lengthwise for 1/4 of a mile or so. By placing the first target out into the woods, I can practice one of my Achilles' heels so far -- judging distance over a chasm like that.

The coyote there in the pic was a present to my 4-year-old from Matt this past hunting trip so he'd have his very own target... It won't become a part of my new course. That's his and his alone.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Here's my plan...

Greg.

I would forget putting in stakes.

We have a few 3d targets out at my buddies place, we just walk through the little bit of woods and stop guesstimate the yardage, shoot and move onto the next target, we take a different way back and do the same thing.

We do range each target after we shot to see how close we where to the distance.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why didn't we do that while I was there? After sinking one in the pond were you afraid I'd hit a horse?The old guy save one for me with the rope!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, the stakes probably aren't necessary... good call on that one.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. I think we'll be selling some of ours off before long as well, want me to keep my eyes open for ya?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely, Don... Anything $50 and under I'd be interested in... the cheaper the better provided they're not too shot up.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's truly awesome Greg. I really wish I had access to this. All of the top level shooters that I know who have been competitive in Semi Pro or Open Pro have their own targets, or at least access to shoot targets several days a week. I really wish I had access to this, it's a HUGE advantage to simply see the targets every day.

Also as an FYI, if you plan to be compete at any national level ASA shoot, you can look up what targets they are using that year at the pro ams. They typically use 20 different targets and announce it so that the local clubs can plan to purchase them and help prepare the shooters with the local stuff.

Someday when I finally end up able to buy a house out of the suburbs I'll have something like this.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

That's truly awesome Greg. I really wish I had access to this. All of the top level shooters that I know who have been competitive in Semi Pro or Open Pro have their own targets, or at least access to shoot targets several days a week. I really wish I had access to this, it's a HUGE advantage to simply see the targets every day.

Also as an FYI, if you plan to be compete at any national level ASA shoot, you can look up what targets they are using that year at the pro ams. They typically use 20 different targets and announce it so that the local clubs can plan to purchase them and help prepare the shooters with the local stuff.

Someday when I finally end up able to buy a house out of the suburbs I'll have something like this.
All the targets in my indoor range thread came from an ASAPro Am in Virginia a few years back.

The big shoots is a good place tostart for a complete range for a much discounted price.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, we've got a National Pro/Am coming to within an hour of my house this summer; I figure to pick up at least a couple more then.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Yeah, we've got a National Pro/Am coming to within an hour of my house this summer; I figure to pick up at least a couple more then.
Greg.

You will most likely have to buy a whole range from the Pro/Am shoots that would be 20 targets, last I heard they go for about 2.5k but the targets are good as new

Quick Reply: Here's my plan...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.