Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 National Forests/Leashes? >

National Forests/Leashes?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

National Forests/Leashes?

Old 04-29-2005, 10:43 PM

Default National Forests/Leashes?

Hello-

Does anyone know if my hunting license will give me an exemption from national forest leash regulations in Arizona? I've only hunted my dog on private and state lands, but you are allowed to take blue grouse, gambel's quail, and pigeon in the national forests here in Arizona. I assume people are using their dogs to do so. BUT the rules and regs on the camping section of the National Forest website say that pets must be leashed at all times. This seems like a bit of a contradiction. It is out of season right now, of course, but I'd like to take my dog hiking this weekend and I'd rather not tether him (except for the Innotek). Thanks in advance,

-aaron
Old 04-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: National Forests/Leashes?

I could be wrong here, but I think the "leash law" only applies to the developed camping areas in the national Forest (as well as in National Park Lands). I don't think it applies once you are 1/2 mile or more from the campground.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know about national forest , but i know where i work (state park/wildlife management area) the dogs have to leashed AT ALL TIMES....even if they are 19 miles away from the campsites...during the hunts, there is no camping allowed and the dogs are allowed off the leash, but this only happens a few days out of the year......they dont want harrassment of the animals of any kind, dogs tend to get lost chasing critters they arent suppose to be chasing.....there are many factors......this is just a couple, i would recommend going to the website of the place you want to go and ask them, they know better than anyone else.......
Old 05-01-2005, 07:27 AM

adunham,
Each National Forest will have slightly different rules so you will have to check with someone on the recreation staff to get the right answer. The 2 National Forests I live near you can run your dogs without a leash as long as you are away from the developed campsites.