Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Rattlesnake Vacination

Old 04-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Rattlesnake Vacination

I was talking to my vet he brought up something interesting He was wondering if I would be interested in giving my dog a rattlesnake vacination the shot is about $14 andthen they need abooster about 4 to 6 months later.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Rattlesnake Vacination

Man, if it works that's a small price to pay. I'm gonna check with some of my buddies at sqdog.com to ask if they've heard of it. We are all straight treedog hunters over there, so I would think our dogs generally have a little more "kill grit" than the gentleman's birddog (not an insult, it's just the difference in breeding). Our dogs want to get in the face of anything and kill it if they can, so snakes are no exception. I'll get back with some of what they say. The way I understand it, a benydrill delivered through a good old Vienna Sausage is about as good as anything for a quick remedy. I hear this and then penicillin delivered shortly after will save most dogs. Keep the Vienna sausage can and your benydrill in a plastic bag in your pack while hunting. But, yes, I think a snake bite vaccine that actually worked for $14 is a must. I want to know more.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:39 PM

My pup just got the shot last month. I dont know how well it works, but it is definately worth the $12 IMO, and dont know what harm could be done by giving it to the dog.
Here is the website from the company that supplied my vet with the stuff
http://www.redrockbiologics.com/
Old 04-12-2005, 03:15 PM

I think you got hood winked, maybe I'm wrong. I just dont see how this could work. The benadryle sounds like it may have merit, because it would stop the allergic reaction to the poision(venom), thereby eliminateing most of the ill effects. It would be great if it were legitamate though.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:05 PM

Interesting. I checked out the link that slatecall provided. Unfortunately, it doesn't give a lot of technical information about the vaccine. I do know that I have never heard of such a vaccine and have never seen one listed in the various veterinary journels, etc. However that doesn't mean that such a product exists or will be developed. After all they are developing things all the time.

I would recommend have you vet talk with the company to find out more about the product.