Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What age?

Old 04-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default What age?

I really don't know much about breeding, so was just wondering when is a female "safe" to be bred? Reason I'm asking is, I have two male Bloodhounds and got a call from someone that has a awesome looking bitch with great lines and is wanting to breed, but she's young(14 months) and her owners and I are wanting to know what is a "safe" age for her to be bred? Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What age?

I would suggest you and the female's owners buy a breed-specific book that has a couple good chapters on breeding. It sounds like you have not done any breeding before; there is a LOT more to breeding than just throwing a couple dogs together. Both the dam and the sire need testing done for a variety of things.

I hate to discourage anyone from breeding because I absolutely love it. But you really need to know a lot more about it before you attempt it. The goal of breeding is to try to improve the breed and you can't do this if you both haven't checked things like heart, eyes, hips, etc. Please don't become like the puppy mills and just breed with no regard for anything.

As far as age, in my breed the absolute minimum I would breed a girl is about 18 months old (I've only done this once) and only if the girl was very mature; normally I wait til about 2 years old. Maybe there is a bloodhound breeder on the list that will confirm this age for you. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Bruce
Old 04-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info Bruce. I, obviously, know the background of my males and the bitch's looks good as well. This will NOT not be a puppy mill, just a one-time thing.(if she takes) I'll check to see if I can find a breeders book on Bloodhounds. Any ideas where I may find such a book? Once again, thanks for the reply.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

I think my wife got most of the books we own on line; try Amazon, etc.

Although, you might try a local bookstore first so you can actually page thru the book and see how extensive the chapters are on breeding. Some of the books we have don't have more than a dozen sentences on breeding.

Sorry, didn't mean to infer that you would become a puppy mill, just wanted to make sure you knew there was a lot of testing to be done if your goal is to produce healthy, long-lived puppies. Part of the problem with puppy mills is that they often do little, if any, testing, so they may end up furthering a serious health problem in the breed. As an example, in my breed (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) Miatrial Heart Valve disease is a problem that responsible breeders are testing for. Once a year all our dogs go to a board certified cardiologist and if they come up with a heart murmur, they are spayed/neutered.

Hope this helps somewhat. Wish I could help you more, but I just don't know about specific issues with bloodhounds. Good luck!

Bruce
Old 04-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks again Bruce and no offense was taken at all. I appreciate your advice. I've got a few books on the breed, but like you said, there's very little info on breeding them and what to look out for. Like I said, the female is still young and from what the owners have told me, she's quite timid. My older hound is NOT timid(lol) when it comes to another dog. If she's that timid, I'll go with my younger hound because he's a little more laid back and easier to handle. Thanks again.

Carter
Old 04-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

It just occurred to me:

You may want to see if there is an all-breed kennel club in your area that you could join. About half the members in my kennel club are breeders and I have got some good information from them on occaison. You might also find a member that has the same breed as you that would be able to help you out with breed-specific information.

Another thing to try is to go to a couple local dog shows. Find out what time the bloodhounds show and try talking to some of the people there AFTER (never before or during) the bloodhounds are through showing. Some won't want to give you the time of day, but there will also be one or two (like my wife!) that will talk your head off!

Bruce