Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Question.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Question.

Do you have to have Hounds such as Redbones, Blue ticks for Coon hunting? I'm starting to train my mutt (Black labadorxunknown) to start coon hunting. He's a natural.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Question.

No, you do not have to have hounds or curs for that matter. Any dog that will tree sufficently and bark enough to let you know he is treed will do. That said many of us prefer a certain style of dog. Hounds generally are loud open trailers that allow the hunter to know that his hound has struck and is following the coon. Curs tend to be silent on track (as are most non hound or mixed breeds). A silent dog can in theory tree more coon. (the coon doesn't hear it coming and has to grab the nearest tree for shorter tracks). If all you want is a dog that will tree a few coon for pleasure hunting go for and have fun. If you should ever decide to enter the competition hunts you will need a dog recognized by the registry sponsoring the hunt. I myself love hounds and competition hunt so I hunt Walkers. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question.

No, he does'nt have to be a coon hound,but train it with some coon skin's.
Let him get use to the smell. Wet it and drag it around the ground to teach
it the scent. Make some play time with the skin so it will know this is what you
want. I prefer BlueTick or Walkers.
I cross breed dogs for Hogs.