Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 anyone ever raised 2 pups >

anyone ever raised 2 pups

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

anyone ever raised 2 pups

Old 02-12-2005, 09:34 PM

Default anyone ever raised 2 pups

Has anyone ever raised 2 puppies together? If so would you do it again, and do you have any tips for raising 2 littermates?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: anyone ever raised 2 pups

In my opinion, raising 2 littermates is the ideal situation. You're getting two puppies who have been together at the breeders and who are now going to be together at their new home. This makes their transition to their new home just that much easier. At least they know each other. And, like children, make sure you give each an equal amount of attention.

Last year we got two puppies from a breeder out east that we intend to show and breed. They weren't from the same litter, but they were within a week of the same age. We found that they tended to hang together for about the first month as they adjusted to our home and our other dogs. We kept them together in the same crate at night. They also seemed to have the same schedule as far as housebreaking. It was a little more work, but not that much.

Right now we have 2 litters, 3 weeks apart, and we are going to keep 1 pup out of each litter. The oldest litter is all over the place, chasing each other and the adults, while the youngest litter is just beginning to walk in the last couple days. It will be interesting to see how the two litters take to each other once the youngest gets a little more mobile.

Bruce
Old 02-13-2005, 08:00 AM

I have but prefer to raise one at a time. In doing that they tend to bond with me better knowing I don't have to compete with the other puppy also they tend to use each other as a security blanket when you try to put a little training stress on them when teaching them something new. when you seperate them from each other they tend to looking for the other instead of concentraiting on you. If you plan to hunt these dogs as you stated in an post they need to stand on their own to feet and rely on you and not on each other. I only hunt one dog at time so you can keep your concentration on the one you use. Train by themselves and not together because if your teaching one the other can cause disstraction or if you scold one the other won't know if your scolding him to.

good luck
Old 02-14-2005, 08:29 PM

I would keep them as separate as possible. YOu want them bonding to you more than to eachother. It will be hard to do, but that is my opinion.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:39 PM

I agree with you AlaskaMagnum as I also said in the previous reply.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:35 PM

You guys are probably correct about keeping them separate......I am now raising two GSPs and they have really done great......they just turned a year old and do a great job on wild quail......who knows they may have been even better by keeping them apart......

These are my first pointers to train and I never thought about keeping them apart or read anything about it......I'll definitely keep that in mind next time.....thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 06:19 PM

Guys I rehomed one of them today with my best freind and he is doing great. But the one I kept is howling like a wolf, whining, and searching for his brother like crazy. But he is eating and sleeping as usual. Do you think he will get over his loss pretty soon?
Old 02-17-2005, 07:56 PM

yes
Old 02-18-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Upadate with moe questions Also thanks

He had plenty of exercise this evening and he is eating great, the howling has calmed a lot. I took him walking in the subdivision and he is scared to death of cars, and other dogs and he started dragging me because he was terrified and he usually walks beside me.

Do you think it is because he is still scared from losing his brother which was the alpha to him or do you think he was just scared because this was a new experience for him because he has never been out of the yard. Also he was scared of people and he has never been scared of people when they were here.?

Also what is the best approach to get him used to walking in the subdivision (which is a new enviroment to him) with dogs, cars, and people that he has never seen?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:21 PM

Default RE: Upadate with moe questions Also thanks

Your pup is just being a pup. He probably has lost some confidence losing his littermate, but that's OKAY. He is a POINTER. He needs to learn to be independent.

As for being afraid of cars and such, why is that a bad thing? Less chance your pup will get hit by a car when he gets out, and trust me, he is going to get out one day. If you must walk him though, when he cringes, whines, stops. just IGNORE HIM and keep walking. If you stop to comfort him, it will not help build boldness.

You really need to be "Happy Timing" this pup right now, not teaching him to heel. I suggest Delmar Smith's Best Way to Train your Gunndog. Run don't walk to your bookstore to get this.

Basically, you need a place where pup can go romp and figure out that cactus pokes, birds hide in bushes, water won't hurt him, and ditches can be crossed. He needs to do this several times a week. It will bolden him up, teach him to range, and if you just shut up and walk while he explores, he will learn to keep track of you which is pretty important in a shooting dog. You need to find a place, ASAP and get this little guy out there exploring. You can bring his littermate along sometimes too. This is what your pup needs to learn this first year. If you have an area that holds some birds even better. If he chases, let him. It's the best thing for him. He will soon learn he cannot catch them.

Quick Reply: anyone ever raised 2 pups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.