Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 anyone ever raised 2 pups >

anyone ever raised 2 pups

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

anyone ever raised 2 pups

Old 03-07-2005, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Upadate with moe questions Also thanks

[8D]my first bird dogs ever, were a pair of Vizsla littermates, Amos & Andy. I didn't know how to train a bird dog, I went through obedience training with a german shepherd years before, and used that with the new pups.
My children at the time were ten and two, my son and daughter. My boy went with me to pick them up, on a SuperBowl Sunday, 1980. He aided me in training, by planting a pheasant feather covered training dummy in the bushes on the hill behind our house. I would scent spray it as well, work the pups into the wind, sometimes one at a time and sometimes together.
These dogs lived together for eight years, when Amos suddenly passed. Talk about howling, whining etc. This dog mourned for weeks on end.
I hunted, played, loved and lived with these dogs for eight years, then after my best friend finally decided to breed his female, I kept a pup and brought her home to Andy, which at that time was almost ten years old. He loved having a little female pup to live with.
Andy lived to eighteen. Just before he passed, I brought home another female pup, which I own as I type. Andy didn't take to her the way he did with the first female. He was a real jerk to the new pup. I lived with three vizslas for about a year, then Andy passed, leaving me with two females. Tazscha, the elder passed just before she would have turned ten.
Training, owning and living with more than one dog is about the same as living with multiple children. They'll need their fair share of love and attention, direction and care!
I enjoyed the heck out of hunting more than one dog at a time. The first two littermates, had a tendency to trail each other, but would work independently also! The male and female work more independently, and the two females together even more so! It's great to have two dogs working simultaneously, covering separate tracks of ground, but can be a bit of work getting to one then the other when they locked up in different spots!
Here's a photo of Andy, in his prime!

Old 03-07-2005, 09:06 PM

here's a photo of two of the pups that I kept a pup from a litter my best friend bred.
This is Poncho & Maggie locked up!

Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 PM

[&:]here's my current girl locked on some qauil in the Antelope Valley of California