Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

siezures

Old 02-03-2005, 01:55 PM

Default siezures

Hey guys gotta a quaestion. My 2 1/2 year old GSP started having siezures last week and progressivly gotten worst. She had three today including one at the vets office. Unfortunately I was not there when this occurred, my wife handled the situation, which she did and awesome job. The vet said that she has epilepsy. The blood work came normal and druged my dog up on valium. She prescribed another drug for her which I am not sure of the name yet as I am still at work. My question for you all is, do any of you have working/hunting dogs with this and how does it effects them if any at all, my vet said that I could still hunt as if I did before but, may take time to get the medicine worked out to where she will be abck to normal. Thanks in advance.........
Old 02-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: siezures

I had a GWP that developed seizures when he was about five or so. When the first one happened it was in the wee hours of the morning and I thought he was a goner. In about five minutes he snapped out of it and didn't have another one for a year or so. He had one while we were hunting once but again I gave him some time and he snapped out of it. He never received any type of medication and to my knowledge only had a few more over the course of his life. He lived to be 13 and was very productive.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a freind that has Spinone Italiano .
It has epilepsy ,it first showed the signs at about age 2.
He has it on 2 or 3 drugs.
He found thru research that it can (in his case) be pased from parents.
His dog had won lots of trials and showes ,going to make dad lots of $$
Now he will not be breed .

Best of luck
Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear that. A woman I train with has a great female lab that has siezures and dares not let her go near the water. Sadly, no hunt test in her future.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:15 AM

Sorry to hear that as well...

I have a Springer that started with seizures about 8months ago. The vet has him on pheno as well and have been working to get the dosage right. He had numerous seizures for quite some time to the point that he couldn't walk steadily and really didn't recognize anyone. He would stay like that for several days and the slowly come out of it and be normal again. The vet says it is like a person having a stroke..and then slowly recovering.

He was doing real well and had gone 2-3mo without a seizure and the vet started to slowly back him off the meds when this week he had 8 in one night including a one where he swallowed his tongue and stopped breathing. Back to the vets we went and the he decided we shouldn't wean him off the meds (big surprise) and went back to the same level of meds as before.

He has been doing better over the weekend and is back to the normal fun loving dog that he normally is now that he is back on the higher dosage and hopefully if we maintain it will keep them under control.

I will say the meds make him a little "loopy" though. Some of the signs that we have seen that come before the seizure are lots of excitement, drinking lots of water and pacing around.

UB
Old 02-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

A gene has been identified that can cause canine seizures. The story is at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4149179.stm
Old 02-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-06-2005, 10:36 PM

Jim,

To be honest I don't know. I'll check tomorrow at the house and find out what the doc put him on. My understanding is that it is the same as he was on prior to him beginning to be weaned off them. I do know that he is only on the pheno and that is twice a day and he hadn't had a seizure in quite some time (2-3mo) prior.

I'll make a post tomorrow and let ya know.

I am curious to see if it is normal...does your dog seem to not remember anything. Since the last episode it seems we are back to getting him house trained again?

UB
Old 02-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.