Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

siezures

Old 02-07-2005, 04:50 AM

Default RE: siezures

Jim,

My dog wieghs 41 lbs and they have her on 32 mg of pheno twice daily. We were instructed to keep a log of her siezures as to the time they occurred and the duration and anything out of the ordinary. I am picking up a prescription of Potasium Bromide this afternoon. The vet said that she wants to try to get her off of the pheno because of the side effects and on the Potasium Bromide, however the Potasium Bromide takes something like 90 days before it actually starts working. The vet added that being on both drugs would make her a little dopy and suggested that I end her hunting season so that we can get the meds worked out which is ashame, because I travel to WVa for grouse this time of year, but, I guess I have to do what is best for my dog.

Guys thanks for the responses, you all are very informative and helpful. Good luck.....
Old 02-07-2005, 05:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

I am very sorry to hear about health problems in anyones dog. I hope things get better with your buddies.

Have any of you contacted the breeder; I think it would be a good idea to do so. It seems to me that a good breeder would want to know about this type of problem; if it is occuring in other puppies from one particular girl , it is probably best to stop breeding that girl or that combination of boy/girl.

My wife and I just found out that a puppy we sold about a year ago has had 2 siezures. This is the only problem (knock on wood) we have had in the years we have been breeding, but we now know that we have to be on the alert for any problems from other puppies from this girl. We specify in our contract that puppy buyers contact us if their puppy has any serious health problems and, when they die, what they died from and the age. BTW, since this siezure problem has happened within our 1 year guarantee period, we have offered them another puppy from our next available litter at no cost.

Bruce
Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 AM

Bruce H

yea, i have talked to the breeder, and the owners of the mom and dad, all of which I know and they haven't had any reports of any health problems which makes me scratch my head a little, thinking there might be another cause for the siezures, (i'm still in denial), the meds seem to control them so far but, its only been 6 days. Anyway thanks for the input, sounds like you are a pretty respectful breeder which now-a-days, are hard to find with all of the puppy factories........take care.....
Old 02-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-09-2005, 06:22 PM

Jim,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, just haven't been on line.

Our springer is on 97.5mg of pheno two times a day. The vet had backed him down and that is when the seizures started again. He has had one bad night since going back to the old dosage but still no where close to what they were.

We keep documenting everything for the vet and giving him the information when we go in for the blood tests but I'm concerned now that the pheno is going to cause other health problems and that is going to be the topic of discussion at the next appt.

You mentioned the pacing. One of the things that we noticed was on the night of his worst siezures that he paced constantly during the evening hours prior to having any seizures. He just walked aimlessly around not stopping and really wasn't picking up his feet, just kind of dragging them. After the first siezure when he could get his legs under him he continued to pace until the next one. The only time the pacing seemed to stop was when he was absolutely exhausted from the seizures and would just lay down.

As far as the breeder...we have definately let them know so that they would be aware. They of course "hadn't had any problems" in any other dogs but thanked me for the information.

I"ll keep ya'll posted as to what is going on and any positve/negative developments we have...

UB
Old 02-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2005, 12:47 PM

Well my dog has been seizure free for 14 days now, (our fingers are crossed and she is taking to the meds quite well and so far is back to her self). I spoke to the breeder, who was very concerned, he suggested having my pup tested for any tick-born diseases, apparently, they will cause siezures. I went to my vet and had her tested for the diseases, which the vet did not test for in the first place, and she came back negative, which was a relief seeing that I have her on preventatives. Interesting enough though, through some research that I have done as well as others, I had a second opinion done. Basically, concerning the side effects of the drugs, it was relayed to me that only about 3% of all dogs on pheno develope liver malfunctions. I couldn't find much formation about potasium bromide. I wasn't crazy about teh way she was acting while on the pb, I pulled my dog off of the pb and she remains on 64 mg of pheno. Most vets that I have talked too have recommended pheno........hopefully all is well with everybody elses dog, I know i'm not in the clear yet.........good luck everybody.....Jim please let me know how your dog is doing........rem....
Old 02-16-2005, 05:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 AM

Jim,

Just an update...

We have had our springer back on the increased meds since my last post and he has been seizure free. He actually has his spunk back and seems to have "remembered" many of the things that he forgot after the last episode of seizures....

UB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.