Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab training help

Old 02-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lab training help

ORIGINAL: Doc E

Get on a good training program and follow it page by page, chapter by chapter. Take it SLOWLY.

For a good ol' hunting dog, get the "10 Minute Retriever", by John and Amy Dahl. For a truly superb hunting dog (that could easily do well in Hunt Tests) go with "Smartwork for retrievers" (vol I and Vol II) by Evan Graham.

Get a book or two ordered ASAP.
Did you read this part ?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:16 PM

Can't say for sure why the color is changing. I have seen chocolate dogs that shed out a light color of brown and a darker color will replace it. Usually this happens for a couple of reasons.
1. a change in diet from good to bad or bad to good will change the coat appearance.
2. Changes in living conditions from outside to inside.
I just can't say for sure. There is the possibility that the dog is not a full blooded lab. Don't let that bother you, if the dog shows potential run with it. Keep training and have fun!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:13 AM

I picked up "Water Dog" on DVD. I've watched it several times and it looks like something that will work for us. Has anybody used this training method? Does it work as well as it looks?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iloveto4x4innc

I picked up "Water Dog" on DVD. I've watched it several times and it looks like something that will work for us. Has anybody used this training method? Does it work as well as it looks?

Thanks
Not bad, but VERY outdated.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:01 AM

Doc E, Please help!

She does very good with her obediance as long as she's on a leash. As soon as I take her off the leash, she turns into an idiot! I can't get her to come, sit, heel, nothing. As soon as I put her back on the leash, she's good again. I even bought a 50' rope that I can use as a long leash. She does fine on that too. I can sit her and walk to the end of the rope, behind the house, and she'll sit until I call her and come right to me. Do I just need to spend more time working her on the leash/rope? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all the help so far!