Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lost my dog

Old 12-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Spike

Default Lost my dog

Guys-

I am a regular reader, but rarely post. This morning I need a pick me up. My 2 and half year old chocolate lab Scout escaped from his pen last night and was killed when struck by a car while he was chasing a rabbit. Scout had picked up every bird I ever shot over him, and I don't know how I will replace him. He had been professionally trained for four months, but I had bought him a year ago at a great price. He was more than my dog- he was my companion and one of my best friends. My three sons and I have lost a great dog and friend.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:05 AM

Default RE: Lost my dog

sorry for your loss
Old 12-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know there are no words that can make you feel better ,but I feel your loss.
Maybe a new puppy ,but not a chocolate lab puppy you can not just replace Scout.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:24 PM

Very sorry to hear that. Had a very similar situation with one of my Chessies last Oct. Shot about 8 rabbits in the yard since then. My son took it pretty hard. He's only 3 and keeps asking when we will get a new one. I still have a great female and have been half-heartedly looking for a new pup. Like johnch said you can't replace scout just like I can't replace rooster. I feel your pain and hope the next pup is a crackerjack... sounds like scout was.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am sooooooooo sorry, i feel your pain.......
one year ago today Branddee ,my bloodhound died because she escaped and was hit by a car.....the pain is strong, still, but it gets better......maybe Scout and branddee are chasin' critters together now......know that he is with you and remember him often.....

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Old 12-19-2004, 12:37 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is like loosing one of your children.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Spike

Funny how things go. Our chocolate bitch hasa litter of 3 pups that Scout sired, and I was planning on all of them being sold by the time I got home from my business trip this weekend. Lo and behold, one female was unsold. She looks just like her grandma, who was my wife's dog, and acts just like Scout himself. I juct can't seem to part with her, though I have too many labs as it is (four). It's gonna take a long time to get her trained as well as Scout was though. I guess my plans of running some hunt tests this spring is definitely out the window now.

I do have to try to find solace in that he didn't suffer. The severity of the impact had to have killed him immediately. My sons and wife had him bureid before I got home Saturday night to save me the grief of seeing his broken body. It's just tough to deal with the huge blood stains on the highway...maybe it will rain here soon.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:28 AM

Im sorry for you loss
Old 12-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

sorry to hear of your loss, it is amazing how attached we can get to the faithful and loyal companionship that a dog provides, i had to put my golden down oct 30, she would have been 16 yrs the 18 of dec. agian sorry for your loss and that dog will not be replaced, you might get another but you'll always have those special memories of your lab in your heart. time heals all wounds, but it does take time.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:25 AM

sorry to hear that man ; I have lost two in the last couple of years.alonge with my little pet yard dog Truker.he went with me every where I went.so I do know how you feel.the best thing is get another right away.you can never replace him,but you can get another one.