Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Neuter or Not?

Old 08-12-2002, 11:35 AM

Default Neuter or Not?

Hi I am new to the forum and I am seeking information that will help me convince my husband that a neutered dog does not effect his ability to hunt well. We have a 1 yr old black lab, and my husband swears that if he is neutered he won't be a great hunter. Is there any truth to this?
Old 08-12-2002, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Neuter or Not?

I dont know about nuetering having any effect on hunting abiltiy. I was curious as to why you wanted to nueter him in the first place?

Old 08-12-2002, 06:18 PM

Positives for neutering: Reduce risk of prostatic disease, reduce risk of certain tumors. He can't breed. Reduces marking behavior, roaming, and certain types of aggression.
Negatives: He cannot breed.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:36 PM

Neutering and spaying does not effect there ability to hunt.you do have to watch there feeding( they tend to gain weight faster )

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

I just think that a dog should have all of its original equipment. And if hes not running off or having attitude problems leave him as he was born. I didnt know about cancer though.

Old 08-13-2002, 07:23 AM

RonE,
Neutering has absolutely NO effect on hunting ability. If anything, it will make it better. If a dog was a lousy hunter before the surgery, he will be afterwards. Likewise, if he was a good hunter before, he will be afterwards.

Old 08-13-2002, 02:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I dont know about nuetering having any effect on hunting abiltiy. I was curious as to why you wanted to nueter him in the first place?

I was told by my Vet and obiedance trainer that if we arn't going to breed him that he should be neutered. This would reduce his risk of cancer. And also it will help him to calm down and focus on training instead of marking everything he comes across.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 08-15-2002, 03:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-19-2002, 01:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
RonE,
Neutering has absolutely NO effect on hunting ability. If anything, it will make it better. If a dog was a lousy hunter before the surgery, he will be afterwards. Likewise, if he was a good hunter before, he will be afterwards.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

When is the best time to neuter a pup?
Old 08-20-2002, 12:38 AM

Look at the vets we are getting in here! I would like to thank wvvet and evcvet for there takeing there time to help in this forum, I know it you were close to me i would use y'all for my animals. ,,,,,, Your lab wouldnt be changed at all as to his hunting skills, but some of us men dont like to even think of such things hahahahaha ( its a man thing)I have ALL my hunting dogs that I dont want to breed fixed, It realy helped in keeping the males out hunting when they met up with females that were in heat. (some guys dont watch there females and bring them hunting when they are in heat) Hey wvvet, just had 4 more pups droped off at the house, at least these pups are in good shape for once!

If Hunters Dont Stand Together, We Wont Be Hunters Long!!!

Quick Reply: Neuter or Not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.