Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

training beagles

Old 12-14-2004, 01:56 AM

Default training beagles

how would i start training our new pup.we hunt in thick bush ,1000,s of acres with minimul restrictions .how do i make sure the dogs gunsure ,going to track ,etc.any good books that you can recomend.thanks a lot.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:51 AM

Default RE: training beagles

what ya gonna run, deer, fox, rabbit ?
Old 12-18-2004, 02:28 AM

Sorry , going to run sambar deer. I guess it would be the same technique's as whitetail.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:40 AM

You can only train dogs to obey your commands, If they have the heart to hunt they will. If your dogs run something you dont want them to ,scold them keep repeteing your commands and soon you will have a hunting dog not a dog that runs whatever. I have catahoulas and beagles, my beagles will not run anything but bunnies my catahoulas will not run buinnies, thats how i trained them,,,repeting my commands over and over again. There is no need to lay a hand on the dogs your tone will tell them your pleased or not. You can take the dogs disire to hunt out of them by hitting them. It only takes time and love . The enjoyment is the time it takes to train them , when they start there all knot heads then one day you will see the transformation into a HUNTING DOG. Good luck
Old 12-20-2004, 02:35 AM

good advice hoghunter51 i understand the no hitting and what you put in is what you get back .but how do you train them to only track deer.if no reply you,ve already given us some help. cheers .
Old 12-20-2004, 03:35 AM

Well dont let them track anything but deer, If they run something other than deer scold them, cut off there persuit of the critter there running, some people use shock collars, it takes a lot of time, however it is well worth it in the end. I first trained one dog to stop and come back when called then i used this dog to help train the other dogs,they will dun what you let them,you may well do a lot of running yourself to start with LOL Lord knows i did LOL Lots of loveing on the dog when it runs what you want , prase them as if they were your child with all A s on a report card. Good luck