Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 I need help fron an experienced coon hunter >

I need help fron an experienced coon hunter

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

I need help fron an experienced coon hunter

Old 12-08-2004, 05:23 PM

Default I need help fron an experienced coon hunter

my 8 yr old bluetick has not been doind a good job hunting this year. when he starts treeing hard, i start walking out to him. I get half way out there and he shuts up. I wait for about 5 mins then walk back to the truck. when I get back he starts treeing again in a different area. Are these coon jumping out of the trees and taking off or what? do coon hounds loose their intrest in hunting?? he was awsome last year. please help!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:24 PM

Default RE: I need help fron an experienced coon hunter

Its possible that coon are moving from tree to tree through the branches, Id go to him when he trees and even if he has stopped try and find the coon if possible that would give you a better idea as to whats going on. Dogs can get burnt out if hunted alot and not given praise or a reward. JMO , good luck in finding out whats wrong I hope its nothing serious, Jimmy
Old 12-11-2004, 11:03 PM

thanks jimmy but this dog is just not doing it. I only hunt him about 3 or 4 days a week. so he's not being over hunted. can anyone else help?? I took him to the vet and got blood tests done. Well $160 later there's nothing they can find out what's wrong with him.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:13 PM

does any body have advice????
Old 12-18-2004, 03:57 PM

I havent noticed many coon hunters on this site you could try www.treedawgs.com its a forum for all treeing dogs and Id bet youll get some help there. Alot of nice folks! Good luck, Jimmy
Old 12-19-2004, 09:20 AM

have you shaken coon out to him. have you let him tree for long periods of time
Old 12-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Spike

I used to ride along with a guy who ran coon dogs. I'm gonna guess he knew what he was doing because he won a national hunt one year. There are 3 things he always did at the tree: 1) Excite the dog and get him jumping and barking all over the base of the tree and then he praised the heck out of 'em 2) Let them get their teeth on at least one a night and 3) he never ever never let someone else shoot a coon out. He had a 10/22 Ruger and when he shot the coon he put 2 or 3 bullets in it right way. His biggest fear was having a coon come down out of a tree and run again, said it made the dogs start 2nd guessing and smelling around trees for tracks instead of sitting back and treeing hard.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:05 PM

Jimmy, thanks for the help those guys know there stuff!!
Old 01-17-2005, 07:15 PM

hey nice to meet you my name is bobby lanham and i live in mishawaka indiana i am a big big coon hunter right now own 4 walker coon hounds one is a champion his name is nitech pr' hard rock stylish flame i know alot about coon hunting the problem with your dog is he does not have confidence in himself that he has the coon or you are not giving him enough coon has he treed alot of dens last year where you could not give him the coon if so you can get a caged coon where you can let it go and let him tree it it will not run to a den when he trees it give him the coon tell him your proud of him after this take him out he should tree you a coon and stay if he doesnt get another caged coon and turn it lose let him tree it when he does this go to him tye him up and leave for a few minutes let him no that you are not going to leave him you will show up let him no he can tree or you can stay there and let him tree let him tree for longer than he usally does he cant go anywhere when he trys to leave pat the tree tell him to get on there when he does this and tree for a while give him the coon. you can try this is will more than likey work the only ohter thing that he could be doing his treeing the coon and then check himself to make sure he has the coon why he is doing this he could be picking up anothers coons track and try to tree him these are one of your problems try the caged coon process if this does not work email me back and i will tell you what else you need to do but it should work well good luck with it
Old 01-18-2005, 05:30 PM

any owner of a coon hound knows a dog does not need alot of coon to make it tree. if it is bred in him, instics let him tree.

Quick Reply: I need help fron an experienced coon hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.