Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Get your dog's bowls back on the ground ! ! ! >

Get your dog's bowls back on the ground ! ! !

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Get your dog's bowls back on the ground ! ! !

Old 11-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Get your dog's bowls back on the ground ! ! !

For a number of years, we have been told of various things to do in order to reduce our dog's chances of getting Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (Torsion, Twisted Gut, Bloat). One of those things was to elevate your dog's food (and water) bowls. Recent research by Purdue U has shown this to be incorrect, and that elevating your dog's bowls actually increases the chances of this life-threatening problem.

For a synopsis of the study, go to www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/update2.htm

I have just taken Casey's bowls off the "elevated" and put them back at ground level.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:11 AM

Default RE: Get your dog's bowls back on the ground ! ! !

Thanking You!! My hunting Buddy Lost a GSP in MT 2 weeks ago to the gastric grim Reaper[&o] She was only 7. The vet was willing to operate but her spleen had already ruptured. This was at 7pm and she had been pointing birds at 4:30 that afternoon. Believe my friend cried the whole weekend but I wasn't there. Anyway thanks for the info Doc. That is Cassie closest to me. She was a fine dog by all accounts even if she did growl on point occasionally, she hated it when roosters ran.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Get your dog's bowls back on the ground ! ! !

ORIGINAL: Roost em 1st
This was at 7pm and she had been pointing birds at 4:30 that afternoon. Believe my friend cried the whole weekend but I wasn't there.
Yes, Twisted Gut takes a dog's life VERY rapidly. When it happens IMMEDIATE surgery is needed in order to save the dog's life.