Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

training pup

Old 11-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Spike

Default RE: training pup

Jamie.The book I suggested was just in the latest Dunn's Catalog.You would still most likely have to wait for delievery tho.My wife took the catalog to work so I dont have it here at this moment.They may offer COD shipping,often that will get orders delivered within a few days.The book covers it all.Picking a pup,training Commands and how to teach them,Basic field introduction to advanced field training,the use of E-Collars,Force Fetch,Covers both Flushing and Pointing Breeds and covers most problems many experience when training and how to correct them.

If your still intrested in this particular book,I'll have her bring the catalog home and post the number for you to check out the catalog yourself.Take care,Jackson..
Old 11-02-2004, 02:21 PM

YES, JACKSON I WOULD BE INTRESTED IN THAT BOOK ,WHEN YOU CAN GET AROUND TO IT , IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
Old 11-02-2004, 03:15 PM

http://www.dunns.com/pod/1640

That should get you to the book.
Good luck with your Brit. I've only trained my own dogs CBR and helped my friend with his GSP. the success I've seen came from taking dogs who understand commands and are in control and putting them in the birds. Probably means some trips to a stocked field. I've had dogs who were pointing and retrieving at 5 months and some who didn't get all fired up till they were 14 months. They're all different. Enjoy every minute!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:18 PM

Don't overlook Ben Williams on that Dunn's link either. A very seasoned hunter who has forgotten more about bird dogs than I'll probably ever know.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Spike

Jamie.I see Roost em was kind enough to post the link for Dunns.Thanks Roost em.You'll see the book I recommend there by John R.Falk.While I havent read Ben O Williams book,I would agree with Roost em.Ben Williams is well known around the dog world and has vast knowledge of birdhunting and birddogs as well.Get the free catalog while your looking around the website.Another great dog catalog is Lion County Supply

http://www.lcsupply.com

Good luck,Take care,Jackson..
Old 11-03-2004, 02:03 PM

THANK YOU ROOST EM, AND JACKSON, I NOTICE THEY HAVE VIDEOS AND DVDS ,DO YOU GUYS EVER USE THEM OR DO YOU STRICKLEY GO BUY THE BOOKS,,
Old 11-03-2004, 03:06 PM

At this point I just train what I know. Read everything you can and I guess the videos can't hurt. Educate yourself as best you can and then try and show the dog what you've learned. Earn his respect and he'll do anything. Once he knows your the Alpha get him in some birds, He may be a natural. No since ruining him if he already has it.
The best trainers I know have 4 legs and eat Diamond for dinner. See if you can find some working dogs to go afield with you and your pup.
Ben Williams is pretty much a Brittany only guy. I'd get his book if I had a brit.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:30 PM

Jamie,

Although I have never read a book on dog training, I do recommend it. My personal experience was bonding with my dogs, basic obediance, then lots and lots of exposure to birds. I must say I have been very lucky, but this is what worked for me. I do know this; birds make a bird dog and this is what gets the credit for my "training program."

Also, the more wild bird you can put your dogs into, the better. I have nothing against the use of pen-reared birds, but try to use them on a limited basis.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:50 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: uplandchessies

Also, the more wild bird you can put your dogs into, the better. I have nothing against the use of pen-reared birds, but try to use them on a limited basis.
Absolutely. Jamie if you go to a stocked field realize that it is just to get started. Nothing is better than wild birds. But if you go out and can't find birds your dog may wonder what his job is. If you can swing it you may want to plan a trip to bird country.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:37 PM

jackson , roostem i order the ben willams book from dunns ill let yiu guys know when i get it plus i have the gun dog still waiting for that one, dunns didnt say how long the the book will take hoppfully not three weeks, roost em as for going where wild birds are its kind of hard right know, have anothewr kid coming in june so ive got to save save save, in ma its hard for the birds to live threw the winters, we do have thou a couple of farms that are open all year for a price so mybe ill have to look into that . all i know is iam just as eager to teach my dog as he is to learn he loves the woods, take him in all the time, accept today went bowhunting and he knew i was going in the woods and he was crying like alittle baby cause i told him he could not go, next year its you and the birds i told him, i think he understood , well ill keep you guys updated happy hunting, and be safe

Quick Reply: training pup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.