Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 New lab pup & training questions >

New lab pup & training questions

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New lab pup & training questions

Old 08-26-2004, 12:11 PM

Default RE: New lab pup & training questions

Where's it at Doc?? I'll see if I can make it over that way! Let me know!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's just West of Medical Lake about 9 miles. Go to www.sbda.itgo.com and click where it says something about "Map & Directions" for exact directions to the test site. Take exit 272 off of I-90. Go through the town of Medical Lake -- when you get just West of town, turn left on "Westlake" there should be signs (white with black letters) that say SBDA and/or pink signs that say NAHRA -- just follow the signs.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:20 PM

RedneckGirl, these guys make some great points. Congrats on the new pup. Just a couple of things to keep in mind. For one USMC had a good point in concern with giving them an inch they will try to take that yard. WHen it comes to a new owner this is one of the first things I tell them. Make sure you have that Alpha role under control. THere is surely no need for harshness with a hand your body language can and will do the trick. Have you any materials, training aides, books, videos, etc. If not invest in one or two books and maybe a video or two that can go into detail on certain subjects. Perfect example: Mike Lardy's Total Retriever - Collar conditioning. Unless you plan to go the Amish route which many people do and have great success with. So, on that note good luck and have fun and pup will too! Oh, one more thing. Someone else who replied gave you a great time frame to go by....well, it too was posted by USMC, but the 5 minute rule was excellent info. Don't over work your pup. Down here in Texas I really have to be careful. But you want pup to have fun so keep those sessions short. After a session reward pup in some way whether it be dinner or playtime with mommy/daddy. Try to always end on a good note. Pups are like humans they have good days and bad, respect that fact, please. This is my first post on this website so I don't know how others here train but these are just a few hints that I thought I would reinterate or reemphasize. I trained my girl "Tamba" myself. I'm actually a teacher and I just couldn't afford to send her off to a seasoned trainer so I was hittin' any kind of training book I could get my hands on and I had the time, summers (which are well-deserved let me tell ya) and getting home at somewhat of a decent time throughout the week. So, good luck!
Old 08-28-2004, 04:43 PM

Thanks all for the great advice! I took her out today and I got her started with a dummy.... she did awesome!!! She'll sit on command & whistle and then fetch the dummy and bring it back to me. I'm very excited with her progress! Again, thanks all!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:47 AM

Congrats on pup's accomplishments! Remember to keep it funand the voice happy. Pup doesn't need any real firm commands until around the 5-6 month stage. Remember, what pup learns now can carry into adulthood. Build on this accomplishment by repitition for this is how dogs learn. Don't make the mistake of holding pup back on the retrieve just yet. Play games with pup. The "release" command that you choose to use can come later. That is if I remember correctly that pup is still very young from the date now to when you recieved her. Always start off a new training session with pup with what you did the day before. (ex. If you worked on "whistle sit" yesterday then start pup off in today's session with a few "whistle sits"). Always, always try to end on a good note. What I mean by this is that if you introduce something new and pup is having a hard time trying to figure out what mommy wants and you foresee yourself getting discouraged, work on something that pup already knows and then call it a day. Hope this helps! Good luck and good training!