Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab question

Old 08-23-2004, 05:27 AM

Default RE: Lab question

I agree, they are like kids that stay kids their entire life. We did try something my wife read in a training book. If the dog is wound up when you first get home, or even when company comes over if you can get them to help out, completely ignore your dog while they are acting crazy. After they calm down, then pay attention to them, pet them, tell them good. That helped us out a bit, but you have to really stick to it or it will not work. You are teaching the dog that you do not approve of their energetic quest for attention, once calmed down you teach them that a calm approach will get them what they want, praise and attention. By petting them or even yelling at them when they are over anxious, you are teaching them that going crazy will get immediate attention. Good luck to all.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:40 PM

Man, I am glad I came to this post! This is hilarious! I love that last post by "djy" "I think we are in it for the long run." Anyway, a quick point. A dog under our care is always going to be a puppy just under another Alpha figure. Whether pup is 12 weeks old or 12 years old, that old girl/boy is still a pup. Treat the pup as mom would and you will get that respect down that Doc E and others were referring to that we call OB. Labrador retrievers are actually considered to be one of if not the last dog to mature of the dog breeds. They may or may not. But at the same time, sadness may set in with you even though all this time you have wanted pup to settle down when he/she finally does you know that that ole' man/girl is getting old. Turkey Fan proved a point when he said that he likes to get down and wrestle with pup. BRINGS THE KID OUT OF US AGAIN!!
Old 08-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

I think with any type of pup training it's best to burn a little energy first then begin the training. With my hog and bobcat dogs I like to make them follow the pick up a little while before we get to the actual place I want to start the hunt....not a long run but just enough to get all the "grab ass" out of thier system.
Also, if you are feeding a high protien diet and not letting them burn it off they tend to be more playful.

Ryan Campbell