Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Looking for a dog

Old 08-07-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Looking for a dog

I want to get a dog for hunting and to have around the house. I would like to get a lab. My mom doesnt want to get another dog because are last one always ran away. If the dog ran away the neighbors would call the cops[:'(] I live in a medium size city and have about 1 acre. We have a park in our backyard. We dont have a fence around our yard. The dog will get a lot of attention.
Anyway will a lab be a good dog to have around the house and not run away. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2004, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Looking for a dog

depends on the type of hunting you want to do.it also depends on how big of a dog you can handle in your home.
I prefer Beagles,they are mwd to small size dogs and hunt well and are very loyal and loving.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:48 PM

Oh Im going to hunt ducks and upland. We had a beagle but she ran away to much.[&:] Our house could handle a bigger size dog.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Labs are great , I have a lab great for upland and waterfowel . Labs will wander and with a park in your back yard it will be with the kids in the park , Get a under ground fence ,best $100 I spent ,no 2 people could drag him over the line . He just sits 5' from the line and waits for me to come home . Before I got the fence he lost the family jewels for going after a female in heat a mile away.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:55 PM

If you want to do upland as well as waterfowl and still want a lab and are willing to pay upwards on $500 a pointing lab fits the bill exactly! But they take some cash.....
Old 08-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have a way to contain your dog (fenced in yard or a kennel run), then you shouldn't have a dog. It seems that you have already had at least a couple dogs run away. Without a form of containment, and if you get another dog, you will have three dogs that have run away.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:25 PM

I agree with doc. If the dog goes outside, it's going to want to run and play... and run. Our lab and our bassett used to get an itch to run, and we would have to chase them. Now that they are older they stay well within our 5 acres.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:33 PM

If I get a dog I'll probably get an electric fence. Our old dog would just run right through them. She could open doors, Open he kennel, Jump over 5 foot barriers (She was pretty over weight from eatin the cat food so we were amazed by that) She would pull out those stakes you twist into the ground and run around the neighborhood with it dragin behind her. My mom doesn't want to get a fence. I dont know why.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 20gaugeNate

If I get a dog I'll probably get an electric fence. Our old dog would just run right through them. She could open doors, Open he kennel, Jump over 5 foot barriers (She was pretty over weight from eatin the cat food so we were amazed by that) She would pull out those stakes you twist into the ground and run around the neighborhood with it dragin behind her. My mom doesn't want to get a fence. I dont know why.
Do you mean an electric fence or an "invisible fence"?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 20gaugeNate
My mom doesn't want to get a fence. I dont know why.

You could always ask her

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.