Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Looking for a dog

Old 08-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a dog

ORIGINAL: 20gaugeNate

If I get a dog I'll probably get an electric fence.
An "invisible fence" might keep your dog in, but it won't keep the big Rottie from down the road from coming in and eating your dog for lunch. []
Old 08-27-2004, 02:09 PM

Do you mean an electric fence or an "invisible fence"?

whats the difference

An "invisible fence" might keep your dog in, but it won't keep the big Rottie from down the road from coming in and eating your dog for lunch.
The biggest dog i have around me is a chiuawa (sp?)
Old 08-27-2004, 06:11 PM

Nate, get a Lab. But you have got to figure out this whole fence thing. In my opion it is a terrible thing to chain up a dog. You can't have a dog that runs away or gets run over. That would be like having kids and just letting them do whatever they wanted. Your dog will mature much faster than a child. But you are going to have to train the dog for the first two years, until the puppy gets out of him. If you can train and love for the first two years. Your lab will be easy to manage and will behave very well. Have you thought of getting a lab from the pound or from someone who can no longer take care of it. This might be your best bet. Make sure that they have been well taken of and at least a year old. If it was me and given your circumstances, I would find a dog from a local lab rescue group. Check the internet for one in your area. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:47 PM

I would go with a lab. Wait I already have. Anyways...

Go here if your serious about getting a well bred lab www.working-retriever.com/ads/puplab.

Do your research and remember, you get what you pay for. Don't just get a dog without asking questions. Most of the breeders on this site are very reputable and serious about they're dogs. I'm sure you can find a breeder in your area on there in time.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Hope this helps. Also labs will run away given the chance. Always keep tabs on them. The good thing is they are very intelligent and easily trained with consistency. Put your time in when you get pup, it's worth it.

Oh, and once you go black, you never go back.