Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 English Pointer Puppy.....? >

English Pointer Puppy.....?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

English Pointer Puppy.....?

Old 08-12-2004, 11:19 PM

Default English Pointer Puppy.....?

I need help on training tips for a English Pointer. The pup is 6 months but shes a big dog. very aggressive, loves to run, etc. what kind of advise do you have for a first time Pointer owner? i want her to point, and perhaps even water retrieve???..!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:32 PM

Default RE: English Pointer Puppy.....?

She should already be pointing naturally. That isn't a taught trait. My puppies are 2 months old and one has pointed since she opened her eyes.
The retrieving should be done as a game in a small area, fenced in, or a hallway, so she can't get out. She only has one way back to you. But, make it fun. And, stop teaching her before she gets tired of the game. Leave her wanting more.

Build a bond with her with you as the alpha and she is the beta. She will want to serve your needs if you build that bond.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Spike

Sunset has given some good advice.I'd like to add a little bit.First like she said the dog should some sort of pointing instinct already.You can test this by tying a wing to a string and the string to the end of a long pole,a ole fishing pole will serve.Flip the wing back and forth in front of the dog.The basic instinct is for them to try and catch it,do your best not to let the dog catch it.Sooner or later the pup will stalk it and then point,dont make it hold the point forever,just a few seconds and flip it again.

Once she has the idea of a point introduce a few birds to her.I start by pulling a few flight feathers off a quail and letting the bird loose on the ground for a bit,then with a checkcord lead the dog to the bird,again dont let the dog catch it.This is sight pointing and not a true test but great way to introduce the dog to birds,its not just seeing it but also getting a snoot full of bird scent,which will lead you to step 2,taking a bird and hiding it some cover for the dog to find by itself using just its nose to find the scent.Let me say that this process does work but takes time,how much time will depend on the natutral ablility of the dog ,so if things progress slowly dont get discouraged.

As far as water work goes ,you'll have to start at the beginning also and first get the dog to enjoy water.Best time to do this is now when water temps are decent.Start in very shallow water and progress.If the dog is timid of the water, go in with her and show her theres nothing to be afraid of and have fun.I'd also like to remind you,this is a pointing breed,not a versatile dog so if indeed you can get her retriveing from water,which you might be able to do,I have done it my dogs,traditional pointing breeds such as Setters and Pointers arent the most graceful swimmers so be patient.Lastly keep in mind that you own a Pointer.Yes it can be trained for water retrieves but its not a lab or versatile dog,a Pointers coat will not protect it from icy and really cold water,so be resonable with your expectations on water work,its not advisable to expect it to retrieve ducks in frigid conditions.Best of luck if I can help further let me know.Take care,Jackson...
Old 08-27-2004, 07:22 PM

Sunset has given some good advice
WOW, this in itself is a high compliment coming from my mentor in the doggie training world.
Excuse me whilst I get a little sappy here......
I joined hunting.net last year to find out some info on training my English Pointer. I had never had this breed before & I felt like I needed some expert advice. I had never joined a board, chat, or anything like that before. And, to tell you the truth, it was a little intimidating to join an internet chat room.

Jax was the first person who talked with me. My chat name is sunset, so, he thought I was some old guy. He kept calling me bud. I let it go for about 2 weeks and then I wasn't real sure I was going to get to know this person, Jax, and I didn't want to give out too much information. Since then, we have become great friends, Pat Ely, Ed Owens, and Jax came to our hunting preserve to wing hunt last year. He has become one of my favorite people to talk with about hunting & life in general. I'd better not say too much more, might make his head swell. LOL
I mentioned that I needed help with my English Pointers and I could almost see the saliva on his posts, he was so happy to talk with someone about this breed.

Jax is a master at training dogs. He has a deep love & appreciation for wing hunting & dog training. I hope he posts more on here. I am always a willing student
Old 08-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Spike

Open the door a lil wider my heads stuck.LOL.Thanks for the compliments.I do have a deep passion for wingshooting and English Pointers in particular so if I can help dont hesitate to ask.Take care,Jackson..