Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lookin for my 1st dog

Old 06-23-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Lookin for my 1st dog

Hay yall im finaly ready to get me a bird dog i have narrowed it down to a gsp or an english setter im gettin a finished dog i dont know how to train a bird dog i have trained horses just never tried sporting dogs who knows of a good dog in ohio the dog must get along with other animals house training isnt a problem i can do that myself of course the dog must have a good personality and temperment
Old 06-23-2004, 05:59 PM

Default RE: Lookin for my 1st dog

whats a gsp?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:19 PM

Both breeds have great qualities. some questions you might want to ask yourself.
1. What kind of game and terrain are you going to be hunting.
2. Is your hunting dog also going to be a house pet? Admit it, most of them are most of the time.
3. Do you have the ability to let your dog do what it is bred to do? In other words, remember that hunting dogs hunt. My wife will tell you of the muskrats, bunnies, birds etc brought proudly home.
I am partial to pointting labs for the type of hunting that I do and would be glad to discuss further.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:27 AM

Go witha black pointing lab. try www.santafelabs.com. Ron has some awsome pointers/Retreivers.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: balcklab1

whats a gsp?
German Shorthair Pointer.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 PM

You are considering two very fine breeds. Are you aware of the cost of finished dogs? They will probably start at $2500.00, and go up from there, maybe a little less?
Finished dogs from field trial stock will be familiar with horses! And started dogs from the same!
Good luck in your search, and hope you enjoy many days afield with the dog you choose!
P.S. don't overlook Vizslas, they are very fine huntings dogs, very similar to the GSP, just smaller!
Old 06-24-2004, 09:14 PM

Truly finished dogs are not cheap. Whatever you get make sure you get it from reputable breeder and Eyes and hips have been cert.
Make sure you have the time. Are you willing to give up large portion of your bowseason to spend with the dog.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:59 AM

I would go to www.uplandbirddog.com and post there. Some of the top field trialers and trainers like Lou Gebler, Maurice Lindsey, Janet Nahorn, and Brenda Roe lurk on that board, and they can get you pointed in the right direction. They know who has started pups, out of what studs, and how those dogs tend to perform.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:01 AM

I swear by my Brittanys. If you buy from a good breeder, they're terrific family pets and HARD hunters. Not too big, not too small. I've got photos of ours retreiving a goose! I wouldn't own anything else for birds!
Old 06-25-2004, 07:05 PM

thanks for all the insight i have spent most of this year looking at breeds and temperments it will be a house dog i have also went to a bunch of field trials looking at dogs thats how i narrowed it down there are a few kennels around here who breed and train bird dogs and a ton of shooting preserves of course the dog will be my fishing buddy in the off season so exercise isnt a problem about the only time the dog cant go is the first week of october the bow season for deer around here i do expect to pay a few thousand or more for the right dog im picky about the personality of all my animals that comes from my horse training days i dont buy animals with personalitys i dont like i also dont rush into buying an animal i like to get to know the dog before i buy and of course my vet has to give the okeydokey i did miss out on a good dog because im so slow but he was really cheep made me kind of leery by the time i made all my calls and checked the dog out he was sold

Quick Reply: Lookin for my 1st dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.