Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lookin for my 1st dog

Old 07-01-2004, 06:15 AM

Default RE: Lookin for my 1st dog

I'm kind of in the same boat as you... After long debate i decided on a GSP. I found a good breeder/trainer in southeastern MI named Scott Townsend. Check out his site for more information. http://www.crosswindkennel.com

If your really interested, he'll probably invite you over and maybe bring you on a hunt with his stud/bitch dogs or to check out his started/finished dogs.

Tell him that Art Garcia sent ya

Hope this helps,
-Ajax
Old 07-01-2004, 07:40 AM

Since you have narrowed down your choices to English Setter's and GSP, I won't add any other breeds into my opinion. I have owned 4 different GSP's and hunted with this breed in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Massachusetts, NH and Maine. The breed has the potential to be outstanding hunters, among the best in the dog world. I found them versatile and easy to train for the field. I have to admit, I am very fond of GSP's and think they are among the top hunters out there. That being said, moving into an apartment I no longer own a short-hair. They "can" make great house dogs, but you are just as likely to find a dog that has some issues in the home as not in my expereince. They tend to be a bit higher strung then other breeds, and their need to really run requires a commitment from the owner that is substantial. I am not trying to dissuade you from this dog, but just open your eyes to the fact they are not one of the easiest dogs to own. That being said .. I absolutely love them, and for an owner who is commited to exercise sessions daily and has the space and patience for this breed, you can't do much better.

All of my English Setter experience comes second hand from 3 different hunting buddies and I have hunted over these dogs as well in all of the above named states. This breed has unbelievable potential for talent in hunting. In my experience though, top GSP's and ES's are equally good hunters. You won't find you harvest more birds with either ... and any differences in hunting ability are more individual dog related than breed related. Even though I have never owned one, I would give the nod to English Setter's as family pets. Before all the GSP guys jump on me .. remember I have owned 4!!!! and never owned a setter. The English Setter's in my experience have been a little calmer, a bit more confident (when left solo for periods of time) and just overall a little easier in the home than GSP's. They of course have some of their own unique issues. They do require a LOT more maintenance after hunting and play than GSP's. Those beautiful coats pick up EVERYTHING and many the hunt has ended with my GSP sleeping in the truck as we tried to detangle and deburr my friends dogs .. solo, it can be an extra hour after a hunt. One other thing is a matter of personal preference, but that flipping tail! You'll not be leaving glasses on coffee tables anymore if you catch my drift. They also require lots of exercise, but I found just a hair less than a GSP and tend to not be as antsy if they miss a day.

You asked for an opinion on the 2 breeds, and in mine you narrowed it down to my personal 2 favorite pointing breeds. You really can't go wrong as far as hunting if the dog you purchase is finished and has any talent ... take the time and choose the right companion for your lifestyle. Please let us know how you make out.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Spike

Hoo Boy! What a decision you have to make. Take all the stuff about gsp's needing exercise and double it for English Setters. Mine runs free every day, although sometimes no more than 10 minutes. She's a house dog. They're pretty hyper but man can they hunt! Those guys are right ...buy from somebody with an established reputation. I see ads all the time in Upland Journal and RGS journal for a Buckeye Kennel in southern Ohio ...don't know him or the dogs. But ...I live in Toledo and drove to upstate NY to pick up my ES. Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:21 PM

well the dog i get will get plenty of time to run where i fish is plenty of open ground with no vehicle traffic to worry about and of course the kids take the dogs for a walk weekly we have 3 dogs now 1 is getting a new home soon my wife has an austrailian sheperd mix my duaghter has a jack russel and we have a mut 2 are inside 1 prefers outside he will come in for a few hours then hes ready to go back out im not afraid to drive or fly to find the right dog but i never buy the first time i see an animal it might be next year before i find the right dog but ill get what i want i know i want a male
Old 07-07-2004, 08:46 AM

These are both great breeds. I have owned both and they both require a lot of exercise. I own a G.S.P. right now and tend to prefer them for a few reasons.

1) they have less grooming
2) they are more versitale, they will do upland, waterfowl, blood tracking.
3) I foot hunt and they tend to work a little closer
4) you don't notice the dog hair as much in the house.

I think you have to look at what kind of hunting you do. If only upland and on horseback I would go with the setter. Upland and walk either would work. If you hunt waterfowl along with upland go with the G.S.P.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

hEY LES, you should know not get a pointer. You need a lab, expspecially if you only hunt public land like ceasar creek and rush run. You could have a dozen points before you even find a bird with all the smell up there at those public spots. Labs are alot better if there is a bird in there than he/she will push it up................go with a lab.......listen to me, your wife aint gonna let you get a dog![:'(]
Old 07-07-2004, 04:09 PM

bowhuntinoh
You might be underestimating the need to run those breeds, IMO mabye others can agree/disagree your gonna need to exercise them daily,Walks dont count. a pup kept inte the house unexercised all day aint pretty sight.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:57 PM

If you get a gsp from German lines or some of the more "traditional" American lines, you will NOT have a hyper dog. If you get a gsp from true "field trial" lines, you could end up with a hyper dog. A good breeder will know what dogs are and what are not hyper.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:21 AM

[8D] Mike she already said i could get a dog the dog will get a ton of excersize in open fields i spend a lot of time outdoors i cant stand being inside cooped up in the house if i can carry mail in the snow and rain i can shure go out and play in it
Old 07-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point Les, however i would get a lab, i have a chocolate lab male and we could breed em and make some money, lol.

Quick Reply: Lookin for my 1st dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.