Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Fleas and Ticks anyone?

Old 05-31-2004, 05:57 AM

Default Fleas and Ticks anyone?

We've had a very dry spring so far and it seems the fleas and ticks are more abundant than usual. I have a black lab and a toy poodle that live inside. I use Frontline Plus on both of them, but was still getting ticks off of them. So I added a flea and tick collar as well. The ticks don't seem to be as many and they don't attach to the dogs. INSTEAD, they crawl off on us and get attached.

Is there anything else I can use that might be more effective and not jeopardize my dog's health????
Old 05-31-2004, 04:57 PM

Default RE: Fleas and Ticks anyone?

I have just gotten and tried Bio-Spot and it is working well so far. Anything I have found on him HAS BEEN DEAD. And it is cheaper too.

Ezzy
Old 05-31-2004, 08:20 PM

I have had good luck with Bio-Spot also. You should be able to find it at Petsmart. If not try looking up Drs Foster and Smith online.
However, a vet I used to go to that I really trusted once told me that if you have indoor/outdoor dogs then you will always be fighting the flea & tick battle. He said that if a dogs was only indoor or only outdoor then you stood a good chance of at least fighting to a draw. In my limited experience since then I think he was on to something. You might try using a combination of oral and topical medicines if no single one seems to work. Good Luck.
P.S. Here in noth Georgia we have been having a problem with flies. Very bad so far this year.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

I used to use Frontline Plus. I now use K9 Advantix. Both work very well for me. I never find fleas on my dog, and although ticks seem to find him everytime we go afield I have never had one attach itself to him since I started using these products. I switched from Frontline Plus to K9 Advantix because Advantix is formulated to repel mosquitoes as well as fleas and ticks. It seems to do this quite well so far. I noticed, last summer, that after switching to the Advnatix the little nats that used to pest my dog unmercifully do not bother him anymore.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The frontline drops between the shoulders has been superb here in Oklahoma. If its not fully protecting your dogs you should buy a few bags of tick granules to spread around your yard. I cant imagine anything else working if frontline wont [:-]
Old 06-09-2004, 10:27 AM

I agree with what has already been said- if frontline doesnt work, the advantaix collars will, in my experience. something else you might try is using fronline spray on your dog just before you take them out in the field or woods.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:49 PM

dogdr is right! The stuff between the shoulders keeps them from attaching to the dog but doesn't always kill them. Use the spray either before or after coming in from the field. This will kill them on the spot.

AXEL
Old 06-17-2004, 04:24 PM

[&:]I never heard of advantix spray?????[&:]

Took our dogs to the vet yesterday....he never mentioned it!! grrrrr[:@]

I have a black lab and mini poodle that only go outside to do their business and terrorize the squirrels in the bird feeder (3-4 times a day)

Heck, they stay inside more than I do..LOL
Old 06-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

deerhuntress, there is an Advantix spray. Last summer my then 1 1/2 yr. old Springer got a terrible case of fleas. He had just received his "summer clip" two days prior and we thought maybe he got them when he was being groomed. That was not the case. He had so many fleas we had to take him to the Vet at once. She gave him a treatment of Advantix spray and said to give him another treatment of standard Advantix after 24 hrs. One day later he had no fleas at all. When asked what could have caused this problem, she said he probably ran into a "storm" of fleas in the woods. I was very impressed with the fact that he had few fleas on him and those were dead. He now takes his Advantix every 3 weeks instead of four and the folks at Advantix paid for a yr. supply. We feel this was a very rare situation. Since (and before), while using Advantix, he has never had a flea, mosquito or tick on him.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

I never heard of Advantix spray either. The K-9 Advantix that I use is put on the dog the same way as Frontline. The only difference is that you put the Advantix on at several spots along your dogs back, instead of just between the shoulders.

Quick Reply: Fleas and Ticks anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.