Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Bloating

Old 05-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Spike

Default Bloating

I have been reading a lot about Bloodhounds and one of the problems that this dog faces is bloating. One of the things that they suggest is not to water the dog 1 hour before or after feeding the dog. Does anyone do this, or would feeding two meals a day rather than one large meal be sufficient? Please share any info or experiences you have.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bloating

I've read the same things about Bloodhounds having bloat problems. Bloating can be a problem with any deep-chested dog. Its basically indigestion, and with dogs being unable to burp, it can kill them. I just take the suggested precautions and have not had any trouble with it. As for the water, Bloodhounds drink alot of water so I never limit that, but I do feed twice a day instead of once.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:15 PM

T/C fan is right, "bloating" can be a problem in any large deep chested dog, like german shepherds and great danes for example. what actually happens is that the stomach rotates, or flips over. this is referred to as gastric dilatation and volvulus (GDV). because the stomach is rotated, gas cannot be expelled, and the stomach will continue to get bigger, just like a balloon with a constant source of air. this can be fatal, as eventually the dog will be unable to breathe due to the tremendous pressure. furthermore, if any blood vessels are twisted and cut off long enough, the tissues they supply will be severely damaged or dead. usually GDV is associated with ingesting a large quantity of food or water and then exercising. so feeding small amounts frequently or avoiding exercise after a meal will help to prevent this disorder. if it happens, it is an emergency!!!!! get'm to the vet!!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:25 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: T/C fan!

".....and with dogs being unable to burp, it can kill them. "

I would just like to say that I must have really special dogs then. Because I have one who not only burps, but seems to enjoy doing it right in front of me when I'm sitting on the couch. The smell of partially digested dog food, now that is a way to kill an appetite.