Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Flea/Tick control

Old 04-07-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Flea/Tick control

What would the best flea and tick prevention for my Lab? The vet said that Advantage is good but I thought I would ask here. Thank you
Old 04-07-2004, 07:28 PM

Default RE: Flea/Tick control

thats what I use on all my dogs. works great for mine.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:23 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

We have better luck with Frontline at our clinic than the advantage.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Iswitched from frontline to advantix last year. I switched at my vets recommendation.Advantix repels mosquitoes as well as fleas and ticks where as frontline is only for fleas and ticks. both seem to work very well on my dog.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:41 AM

Can I buy Advantix only from my vet? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:45 AM

I also switched from Frontline to Advantix last year. Advantix seems to work better on the ticks here in East Texas.

I have bought it at the vet and over the internet.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:17 PM

For Labs, Frontline is probably the better product. Frontline is lipophilic which means it is absorbed into the skin easier. Advantage and Advantix (both made by the same company) are not. What this basically means is that Frontline is much more resistant to water. Therefore if your lab loves getting wet, you will find much better success with Frontline. Now if your dog doesn't get wet that often (except for the occasional bath), it probably doesn't matter which product you go with.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:33 PM

i used advantix last year on my lab and it seemed to work fairly well, but i always found at least one tick on his head or mouth area after a run in the woods.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:04 PM

Listen to wvvet he has never steered anyone wrong on this. I have used Frontline on my lab and chessie the last 4 years and I have never seen a tick stay either one and fleas, flies, and mosquitos all seem to leave them alone. They usually go for a swim a couple times a week and it does not seem to make any difference. The pests just don't bother them anymore. My pasture is crawling with ticks and whenever I take them for a walk I come home and have to pick ticks off of me maybe I'll try Frontline on myself next month.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

i would use frontline instead because it is the only product that covers ticks as well.. especially for hunting dawgs...

Quick Reply: Flea/Tick control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.