Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

My Yellow Lab PuP

Old 02-18-2004, 04:37 PM

Default My Yellow Lab PuP

I have a 15 week old yellow lab pup. I am training him to duck and dove hunt. I KNOW that many people many people dont believe in shock collors. i have one and it works great. I have only shocked him a few times (3) and have had it on him for him to get use to it. I mainly use the GOOD tone to tell him he is doing the right thing. what he will (when i have the dummy) he will sit i will trow it and i will say stay he will for about a minute then either lay down or walk to get it. So USALLy i will say sit then stay throw it then walk around kicking the ground then i will say fetch. He will is this Normal What is next thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:52 PM

Default RE: My Yellow Lab PuP

Using a shock collar at that young of an age may be bad news in the future! I used treats and praise to train mine and only resorted to the shock collar on problem commands,,,,,,,,,but then I didn't start "serious" training til she was a year old....Before then, it was sit , stay, fetch, etc....

My Sassy girl has turned out to be ther greatest "house" dog, as well as a great hunting buddy....Only problem is...SHE gets to keep the first dove of the season!!

http://www.newcarolina.com/sassygirl.htm
Old 02-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy too young for ecollar use. Your dog can start wearing an UN-CHARGED ecollar at 3 months or so, but it is NEVER to be used until the dog is fairly solid on basic Obedience (minimum of 5 months, and usually 6 months or more).

You are DEFINITELY NOT following a proven training program. if you keep this kind of stupidity up, you'll ruin your dog.

Why are you requiring a 15 week old PUPPY to be steady? He needs to be doing nothing but fun bumpers at that age. When a dog lays down or only "walks" to retrieve, it is showing a lack of enthusiasm (YOUR fault).

You need to get on a PROVEN - PROGRESSIVE training program -- NOT what you are doing now. [:@]
Old 02-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Willbjew,

I'm sorry for the "rant" in my post, but when people are really screwing up, because of not using a proven training program, it just p!$$e$ me off. Sorry, but my post stands as is.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:20 PM

willbjew......not trying to be offencive or anything, but maybe you should look into a pro trainer, or advice from one. ill admit i was once an amature at training my lab last year, until i had scessions and help from pro trainers. you can learn a lot from them, and you will really see it in your dog...........i understand your stress Doc
Old 02-19-2004, 04:20 PM

Believe what Doc E is saying. He is right on the money.
A electronic collar is an aid for training not a substitute. Teach the commands. Collar Condition.
It is easier to stop the drive than it is to enhance.
Good Luck.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:29 PM

I have heard this and i actually done my reading. I have the book 10 minute retriever and Water Dog. I really liked 10 minute retreiver beacause it was positive training. i am useing some things from water dog. i didnt like the hole beating the dog thing. ( i know this is the opposite of what i am saying with the collor. what do yall susgest i do.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: willbjew

I have heard this and i actually done my reading. I have the book 10 minute retriever and Water Dog. I really liked 10 minute retreiver beacause it was positive training. i am useing some things from water dog. i didnt like the hole beating the dog thing. ( i know this is the opposite of what i am saying with the collor. what do yall susgest i do.
Put "Water Dog"on the back shelf & go with "The 10 Minute Retriever". (Excactly on what page of "10 Minute" did you read that it was alright to use the ecollar at your dog's age? )

I suggest you follow "10Minute" PAGE BY PAGE, CHAPTER BY CHAPTER. Don't jump around and don't make up your own stuff.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:36 AM

SHOCK COLLARS ARE USELESS.

if you're dog isnt doing what you want 9 times out of 10 it is the handlers fault. use positive reinforcement in training, ie rewards for proper behavior whether it be treats or simple affection.

if you are totally new to training labs, i would suggest you check out "the complete idiots guide to labs" it offers a lot of information you will find to be very helpful in training but all aspects of you labs life.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:37 AM

I'd disagree that collars are useless. Ask Mike Lardy.

Quick Reply: My Yellow Lab PuP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.