Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 My Lab has dandruff... Need Advise. >

My Lab has dandruff... Need Advise.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

My Lab has dandruff... Need Advise.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Lab has dandruff... Need Advise.

My wife wanted me to post a question regarding our 1.5 year old black lab, Nitro. He has a bit of dandruff right now, and my wife was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to get rid of it.

I think the dry skin is because of the dry heat of the house. He is an inside dog. Somebody told me to feed him eggs, but we haven't fed him people food and I really didn't plan on it.

What's your take on the situation?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Lab has dandruff... Need Advise.

It's possible that dry air might have some effect, but not likely.

What brand of food do you feed? - And which variety of that food (protein and fat %)?

How often does the dog get a bath? How often do you brush him? What kind of brush do you use?
Old 01-31-2004, 08:23 AM

I am having much of the same problem. My black lab is also throwing up bile about every 4 or 5 days. I have heard that the dandruf and puking could be the effects of an allergic reaction to the brand of food?!? Anyone else having or had similar issues?

My dog eats Science Diet Lamb and Rice brand. Gets a bath about once a month and brushed about the same. Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2004, 04:29 PM

I feed my lab eggs and she has no difficulties and no dandruff. Before feeding her eggs she was a walking snow-storm.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

What brand of food do you feed? - And which variety of that food (protein and fat %)?

How often does the dog get a bath? How often do you brush him? What kind of brush do you use?
Dad's (not exactly sure of the details of the food).

I don't know if my wallet can handle the really expensive food, but if that's what it'll take.

He gets a bath probably once a month. Brushed maybe once or twice a month. I use a fine tooth comb. Not quite a flea brush.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:06 PM

Why don't you try a tablespoon of margarine a day added to her food. You should see a difference in about 2 to 3 weeks. You could even use Canola oil. Also you might check her teeth. I have bought two dogs from different people over the years who were feeding IAMs and their teeth looked lik they were on a chocolate diet. Maybe it was just a coincidence but for the price you pay for it the teeth should stay in better condition. Also was probably just another coincidence but both these dogs had bad dander and were outside dogs.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:43 AM

Pawhunter....DocE hit the nail on the head. This is most likely a food problem. Don't simply start adding supplements. If your food is so lacking it causes skin problems, it most likely is lacking in other areas as well. Switch to a premium food asap. Diamond, Premium Edge, Purina Pro Plan, Exceed, all of these are of high quality and should take care of the problem. Allow 2-3 weeks for the coat to show improvement.

One more thing...I can assure you, SD is NOT the quality food people are led to believe it is (by vets).

Good luck,

Rick
Old 02-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Could be a lot of things. It may be that your dog needs a fatty acid supplement. If he stratches alot it could be fleas, lice, or mites. Also maybe the shampoo or bathing too frequently. Go to this site and do a search for dandruff. If you do decide to switch foods do the change over a period 5-10 days to avoid upset stomach and give it time, at least a month or two to before evaluating any changes in the coat.

www.peteducation.com
Old 02-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PAHUNTER21

Dad's (not exactly sure of the details of the food).

I don't know if my wallet can handle the really expensive food, but if that's what it'll take.
We REALLY need to know what the dog is currently eating.

Actually "expensive" food doesn't cost hardly any more than cheap food -- this is because of the amount that the dog needs to eat. If a food costs $0.50 a pound and you have to feed two pounds a day, it comes out to $1.00 a day. If a food costs $1.00 a pound, and you only have to feed one pound a day, it still comes out to $1.00 a day. Plus, with a premium food, there is much less poop to clean up and the dog is getting much more complete nutrition without having to add supplements.

I feed my dog Eagle Pack Power Formula. It costs me $35.xx for a 40 lb bag. But I only have to feed him 3 to 3.5 cups a day (depends on how much he's working and how cold it is).
Old 02-15-2004, 07:21 AM

Good post. Thanks for sharing the information. S

Quick Reply: My Lab has dandruff... Need Advise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.