Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Book: Water Dog

Old 01-07-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Book: Water Dog

Has anyone heard of this book? Any good?
Old 01-07-2004, 03:02 PM

Default RE: Book: Water Dog

Is it any good??? I would venture to say that more retrievers have been trained according to this book and Wolters methods than any other. I used it extensively to train my lab, and it worked superbly. Now I know that some on this board say the methods are outdated and that there are better methods/books available. This may be true, I can't confirm/deny as I have only used Wolters method laid out in Water Dog. What are you interested it training your pup for? If you are looking to field trial the dog, I would reccommend looking for another book to augment water dog/take over where it leaves off and continues into field trialing. If you, like me, are uninterested in field trials and are just looking to produce a fantastic hunter with excellent manners and obedience, you need look no farther that Water Dog. Hope this helps and good luck!

YLM
Old 01-07-2004, 07:28 PM

I didnt use but have seen it. Looks good.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:39 PM

I am about half way through it now, and I have to say I like his approach. Field trails don't really interest me now, but once pup is further along in his training who knows...
Old 01-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Water Dog was the 'gold standard' some 30 years ago. Training methods have come a long way since then, and when you compare Water Dog to some modern books, it's considered pretty outdated.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:07 AM

Is there something else that you would reccommend Doc? I read "10 min retriever" before this, but just wasn't impressed.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:30 AM

i don't have the book, however i do have the dvd. They say they have added some up to date training methods in the movie. But i don't know, just thought i'd give that tid-bit
Old 01-08-2004, 10:11 AM

Considered outdated? By whom? Just because the book is old does not mean it is no longer an effective training tool. The reason Wolter's book and methods have stood the test of time is the very reason I do not hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a retriever to train. Training methods come and go, the strong ones, such as Water Dog, remain at the forefront. I am not intending to slight Doc E's opinion, I just feel that Water Dog is a highly effective training tool. It is not necessarily the be all, end all on retriever training, but is a very useful, insightful tool. Just my 2cents worth!

YLM
Old 01-08-2004, 11:18 AM

Bill ... I tend to agree with Doc about Wolter's methods being a little outdated, particularly as it relates to the use of e-collars. Another observation by many pros today is that Wolter's time tables are a bit off in measuring the pups progress. However, Yellar is also quite correct in that probably more "meat dawgs" have been trained (or partially trained) using Wolter's methods that all others combined. I'm shocked that you didn't like Amy Dahl's "The 10-Minute Retriever" I thought it was terrific.

I'm assuming that you are strictlya hunter and are neither involved nor interested in the future in the competitive games for your Retriever. That being the case, (and this will raise some eyebrows here) take a look at "Retriever Training for the Duck Hunter" by Robert Milner. Very fundamental but provides a proven regimen for a quality performance from your 4-legged duck hunting buddy.

http://www.safaripress.com/catalog/0-940143-90-9.html
Old 01-08-2004, 12:55 PM

Bill.... What are you looking to train your retriever for? HT, FT, Hunting of good ole house dog?

Wolters Books are all very good but I agree with DocE and Nevada Jim....The priciples are the same but the training methods have come along way especially with the technology advancements of the e-collar.

I bought my last dog from a pro that was very close to Wolters and when I picked him up I asked JJ (DocE and jim know who I am talking about) about Wolters Books he agreed that the time tables were off as well.

I used Wolters for the Basic OB then I went with Jim and Phyllis Dobbs Tri-Troncis Retriever Training also recommended by JJ.

Good Luck and Good Training!

Quick Reply: Book: Water Dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.