Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Had To Put Elvis Down

Old 12-31-2003, 06:27 PM

Default Had To Put Elvis Down

Elvis the beagle that is.
he has been having a problem with the low back and hips for the last three years,after a real long run three years ago.he was down for three weeks.the vet gave him pain killers and steriods.
last year after the middle of the season,he got down again.
This year he got worse and worse and the meds. didn't work,so we had to put him down.[:'(].

sorry ; just had to get if off my chest for a little.it's like looseing one of the family.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:56 PM

Default RE: Had To Put Elvis Down

I feel your pain. I had to put my 14 1/2 year old yellow Lab down the day after Christmas. She had arthritis so bad and stopped eating for two days. The vet has been my vet for 30 years and I had him come to the house and do it, just couldnt go there. she was the very best waterfowling dog that I have ever owned. she was my very best friend. I miss her so much. Tree climber just remember that the kindest thing that we could do was what we had to do. whtelk
Old 12-31-2003, 10:45 PM

man that sucks.i had to put down my old coon hound she got to old on me.i feel your pain.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:34 AM

I know what you are going through, and all I can say is that Elvis will get mentioned in my prayers.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:48 AM

Sorry to hear about your losing Elvis. We come to know our pets as members of our family, and it truly hurts when they are gone. God Bless.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:53 AM

I hope this picture worked. This is my Lab Brandy that I put down the day after Christmas
Old 01-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I know what you are going thru. I put down my Lab/Golden retriever cross last June. her name was Alex and she was only 7 years old but she got cancer in her liver . I spent a pile of money just to find out what was wrong with her and in the end I had to do it for her sake. It sure is hard to let go but we gotta do it for our friend's sake. I picked up another Lab/Golden cross at a rescue and he is coming along fine, but I sure do miss Alex. Hang on to your memories of Elvis, but don't wait too long before you start building more memories with a new dog. Take it from me I waited over a year to get Alex after my old Yellow Lab was put down and it truly was one of the lonliest times in my life that I can remember. One more thing, when you do decide to get a new dog don't make the mistake of comparing him/her with your old friend, just start fresh and let him/her write a new chapter in your life.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:17 PM

Hikenhunter, you are right got to get another Lab soon. My last Lab was a black male and the one I just lost was a yellow female. That way I couldnt compare. The male lived to be 14 and female was 14 1/2 years. The male lived with me on Sauvie Island game refuge where I worked on a ranch that also had a goose and duck club so we hunted alot. The female was so good that my friends would ask if she could go if I couldnt.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Treeclimber: I Know it is hard to lose a good friend like I'm sure Elvis was, but you can find some words of inspiration at- www.petloss.com/poems/poems.htm