Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

E-Collar question

Old 12-30-2003, 02:32 PM

Default E-Collar question

I have a 6mo. old black Lab. I have been considering an e-collar and have a few questions I hope to get some input on. 1. Is 6mo. old too young for an e-collar, when is a good time to introduce the collar? My pup is a stubborn sort, and seems to be the kind of dog that obeys my commands not to please me, but primarily to avoid correction. I.E. when he is next to me and on the lead he will sit the moment I blow the whistle, but if he is 100 yards away from me and I blow the whistle he turns and looks at me and then slowly settles his butt on the ground, if I start walking toward him his butt goes down fast. He responds to gentle corrections, and I don't believe in being heavy handed with the pup, but just an observation about his personality. 2. I plan on force breaking pup soon - is the e-collar more effective for this than using the ear pinch etc for correction for force breaking? 3. What is a good resource on e-collar training, in particular the initial training/conditioning? 4. The Gander Mountain store near me has the Tri-Tronics sport 50 on sale for $179 and the sport 60 for $199. I have heard only good things about both these collars. The only difference I see from the 50 to the 60 is that the 60 has a warning tone. Is that worth the extra $20. Is that a good price for the collars? Any other input? Sorry for being so long winded, but I am just trying to cover all my bases. THANKS.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:04 PM

Default RE: E-Collar question

The e-collar will definitely enable you to have some measure of control when he is out away from you! It is, when used judiciously, an invaluable tool. Like any training method, restraint must be shown. DON'T FRY THE DOG!

When looking at collars, three things are very important to me. The first is dependability. I use Innotek, and have had no problems. Other people on this board have reported that they have had very bad luck with "my" brand, so I'll leave that up for your research. The next thing to consider is the ease and range of stimulation. Variable stimulation is essential for effective training. Without an easily variable stim., the dog can be under shocked, or as is more common, fried. There needs to be an ability to make the stimulation match the infraction. Additionally, stimulation need not only be for enforcement, but can be used as a suggestive tool in training. The third thing I look for is a tone. The tone soon becomes just as effective and not nearly as hard on the dog as the shock.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2003, 10:36 PM

Please seek a professional dog trainner's advice. I tried the e-collar on my pup and almost ruined her. Save yourself some time and money, ask a pro in your area for advice! These collars are VERY GOOD when used by someone with experience, they are VERY BAD for those without.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:52 AM

Ohioduckhunter makes a valid point. Advice from someone knowledgable is always a valuable item. Another thing to consider is that common sense will go long way toward over stimulation.