Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Finding Scent

Old 02-05-2002, 07:12 PM

Default Finding Scent

Hi,
I just got my new golden retriever puppy, and have brought her into the woods a couple of times to get her used to it (on a leash however). I recieved her as a gift, and think she was bred as a showdog, so her instincts might not be completly there, however I know she is still trainible as she is very smart, and learns quickly. My question is about her finding birds. She's flushed a rabbit twice, she sniffed out the bush, but when the rabbit flushed she just sat there sniffing the sticks, and showed no interest in pursuing it. Is this a bad sign? She has never found any birds, and I was wondering do dogs just naturally pick up on the scent? I'm worried that because she's most likely a show dog that I will have to do something special to get her keyed in on pheasants etc. Also of note, I am interested in starting her on live birds soon to see how she does, once i get her retrieving down perfectly. I read alot of people use pigeons, but wouldn't this get the dog accustomed to pigeons, and not upland game? Do they really smell similar enough to something like a grouse, or pheasant? Again, thanks for the help and feedback, it's greatly appreciated.
-Larry
Old 02-06-2002, 11:59 AM

Default RE: Finding Scent

Goldens generally have good noses (even show goldens). She may not have seen the rabbit so I wouldn't worry. The positive is that she was smelling something. She might not have known what she was smelling. How old is the pup? Are you throwing bumpers for her? Personally I like to get a dog on birds as soon as they can pick them up. Set your dog up for success by draging a bird a short distance and tie it to something so it cant get away. Bring her downwind of the trail and let her find the bird. When she sees the bird she should get really pumped. I think that the key is to get them excited about finding something. Do the same thing with her favorite toy around the house. Don't forget to praise her when she gets it right.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:26 PM

Thanks alot, that sounds like a really good idea, I'm gonna look into ordering/hatching some grouses, but for the immediate, I think I'll get some pigeons. Will the dog associate pigeons with wild game? Thats what confuses me. Does a pigeon and a gamebird smell the same? In other words, would she would be learn what wild birds smell like and be able to find them from learning with the pigeon, or is it just to get her used to holding birds? I'm also worried about my dog chomping on the bird. I found some pheasant feathers/grouse wing that i would drag around the house, but she starts chomping on it when she finds it (i have to help her out, she thinks I have it and comes to me), I figure she's still a puppy, but it worries me a bit in the long run (like if I started giving her lively pigeons). Any advice on the above is again, greatly appreciated. This is my first puppy, and I really want her to be a great dog. Thank you
-Larry
Old 02-07-2002, 07:53 AM

I use pigeons for the reason they are inexpensive and easy to come by. So I don't worry about one getting chomped every once and a while. I get my birds for free. I have a friend with a farm and we go up intothe silo with a fishing net and nab a few when ever I need some. Don't worry about your pup associating pigeons with wild game birds. My dogs have not had a problem with the transition. Remember that your pup is very young, have fun with her!!! It sounds like you are on the right track and are doing your homework.

Reguarding your other thread, try using a hallway. Close all of the doors, stand at one end with your pup, and throw the bumper. She will have no where to go but back to you. Call her as she is coming back.

Keep your sessions short and have fun with her! She is just a pup.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:35 PM

I use pigeons for pointer training and they work fine. All game birds smell a little different, but they all smell like a bird.
I would never let the dog catch a live bird or let him chew on a wing or foot or feather. If the dog is to be used for locating birds as you would with a pointer it must never be allowed to get within a couple of feet of a live bird. I would teach the dog " whoa " before even doing anything with a live bird. When the dog can be whoa'ed consistantly then let him see the live bird.

The behavior you describe sounds ok for a retriever. They are bred mainly for sight retrieval. The dogs will work for locating birds but it's not the dog's true calling.

Good Luck!