Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Where do I begin for field trials >

Where do I begin for field trials

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Where do I begin for field trials

Old 12-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Spike

Default Where do I begin for field trials

I own an 18 week old pointing breed dog and have really enjoyed the training and am very proud of my dos accomplishments. I have been very curious about the competition side of dog ownership but know virtualy nothing about it. I am not wanting to rush into this, but just want to know more about a good starting place to learn. I would like to know if non competers (bystanders) are allowed to come and watch tournaments, and if so could I go and tag along and watch. Perhaps a Hunt Test is the right place to start, but I know nothing of these either. With a few reccomendations maybe my hunting partner and myself will have a new off-season hobby!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Where do I begin for field trials

Call or write to American Field and find out what types of trials are being held in your area. You can also visit their website at www.americanfield.com

All trials that I know of allow visitors to be a part of the gallery, and some even let you go along with the brace.

As far as hunt tests, they are not a competitive venue. They simply award a certificate if a dog can meet a certain set of standards for level of training.

If competition is your cup of tea, by all means go to the nearest American Field-sanctioned trials...you'll get bit by the bug in a hurry!
Old 12-03-2003, 11:38 AM

Did you get this dog from a breeder that could bring you along--they're usually happy to help someone that wants to train and show one of their puppies. That would be the best way to start.

Good luck
Old 12-03-2003, 02:52 PM

I will be the first to say that you can get bit by the competition bug fairly easily.
When I bought my first shorthair 10 years ago I felt the same way your feeling right now. I started out by joining a GSP Club in the area and meeting alot of people that were more than willing to help. I started out doing the AKC Hunt Tests and finished her as a Master Hunter. We also entered her in afew of the Pheasant Hunting contests in which she did very well. We bred her and keep 3 of the 10 puppys she had. We did the Hunt Tests again and finished all 3 as Master Hunters. Looking at what to do next we entered them in afew Shoot to Retreive events as well as some walking AKC field trials. That was about 4 years ago. Our dogs did a fantastic job in the field trials so to pursue this venue we had to give our dogs to a pro or jump with both feet and by horses. Well to make a long story short we now have 3 horses, 5 shorthairs and alot of great friends. We finished all 3 or our dogs as Field Champions & Amateur Field Champions with 1 being the #2 dog in the country in open in 2001, 1 being the #1 dog in Amateur and the other #1 in open in 2002. AND THE BEST PART IS MY WIFE AND I DID ALL THE TRIANING AND HANDELLING OURSELVES.
Feel free to contact me since I to live in the Midwest and can get you the contact names for any of the GSP clubs.
Good Luck
Old 12-03-2003, 03:43 PM

You can also compete in the Illinois Upland Championship Series, a competitive hunting series for the midwest, the competition is great because there is a division and class for every dog. Check out www.illinoisupland.com for more info.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Spike

Thanks for all of the responses. This is helping a lot! The only lead I originally had was NAVHA and to tell you the truth Im kind of nervous about it for the fact that i dont want to be shadowed by Professionals. Im looking for a foot in the door to meet some people and start with some basic amatuer stuff. Im thinking the dog club and a hunt test sounds like a great start. Any other recomendations are being seriously apreciated! My dogs young and Im green but were both eager to make it to the other fun side of ownership.
The breeders we purchased the dogs from inherited the dogs from thier folks (now gone) and they do not compete the dogs, they just keep breeding the bloodline with all the fancy names that i dont understand yet.
I cant wait to get envolved, Im an addicts addict with this stuff! PLEASE, tell me more about the hunt tests or a good place to read up on them, or just your experiences with any of these orgs. Id love to hear it!!!
Respectfuly, Illinois Hunter
Old 12-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

As a member of NAVHDA for the past 12 yrs. in the Toronto chapter I can tell you without a doubt that 95% of the members are plain folks just like you and me. Joining a chapter would IMO be one of the best moves you can make for yourself and your dog.