Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Heat

Old 11-10-2003, 08:55 PM

Default Heat

my female just went in heat today its her first time, she is only 10 months old. i havn' t seen any negetive effects on her, besides the fact that she really isnt in the mood for eating. this is my first female, so if i sound stupid bare with me. how long does this time whne she is in heat usually last?? is it more than a week? my other question is when can i hunt her saftly around a male? this sunday i am suppose to go out upland hunting with my dog would it be safe by then? i am not totally shure if today was her first day, but i noticed it today. she was out hunting yesterday, and i really didnt se anytinhg although in the parking lot a few males we licking her. but i think she first started today. anways if anyone could please answer those question, it would help a lot.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:17 PM

Default RE: Heat

IT TAKES A FEW WEEKS FOR HER TO GO OUT OF HEAT. NO UPLAND BIRD HUNTING THIS WEEKEND FOR YOU WITH THAT DOG.TO MUCH OF A CHANCE.TAKE IT FROM ME I HAVE 28 HUNTING HOUNDS 5 COON HOUNDS AND THE REST BEAGLE HOUNDS.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:58 AM
Typical Buck

Hi nmarro

It usually takes about 3weeks for the entire heat cycle to finish. A good way to gauge how far in the cycle she happens to be is to put her in close quarters with a male and watch her. If she snaps at him when he tries to mount her, she' s probably on her first week. If she stands for him, she' s probably in the middle to last part of her second week. Mark this date on your calender, because she should come in at the same time every year. You can also mark your calender for about 6 months from now. She will probably come in again then. Some dogs only come in once a year, but most dogs come in every 6 months. One thing I can' t stress enough is, she may take a lot longer if this is her very first heat cycle. I don' t know why, but it seems like the first time a young female comes in, it can take 4 or 5 weeks to completely finish. She should be starting to swell up around her vaginal area and she should be bleeding some as well. The swelling may take a lot longer to subside, especially the first time.

If you absolutely have to hunt her, there is a trick I learned long ago. I had a coonhound that came into heat right at the start of coon season every year. An old hunting buddy of mine showed it to me. Take some vick' s vapor rub and rub it on her vagina and the length of the inside of her tail. Put some on the back of her legs as well. What this does is in effect hide the scent she puts off that attracts males. The vick' s is petroleum based and it shouldn' t come off unless she really tromps through the water quite a bit. It' s been my experience that most females don' t show much distraction until they are deep in the heat cycle. So if you use the vick' s she will be good to go and any males you hunt her with will probably ignore her. This really works. I' ve used it many times.

Good luck!

GH
Old 11-11-2003, 04:21 AM

they come in for a week , stay in a week , and go out for a week.that is normal.
the vicks will work ; although you need to watch her very closely ; you don' t want an unwanted litter.espeially with her that young.
Best to not hunt her now.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:24 PM

vicks works good.

go deep hunt hard.