Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Training pigeons in Colorado >

Training pigeons in Colorado

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training pigeons in Colorado

Old 05-23-2021, 06:09 AM
Spike

Default Training pigeons in Colorado

Does anyone have a clue where to get training pigeons near the Denver, CO area? Trying to teach my GWP and Lab puppies a thing or to about live birds.

I'd appreciate any insight or advice. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2021, 03:15 AM
Fork Horn

Find pigeon racers as they always sell them.

Go to a farm with them and start feeding them. get them trained then come back one day and throw out some bird seed soaked vodka and semi dried on the outside. Wait a few minutes and go pick all the drunk birds up. I watched an old lady in my neighborhood do it when younger. She and her husband just loved squab. I was never over for diner, just a bored teenager, sitting on the porch, listen to the older folk and getting educated.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

[/url]

-Jake
Old 08-25-2021, 02:42 AM
Banned

nice idea to get some money!
Old 08-25-2021, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Build yourself a quail recall pen, you can google plans. Doesn't have to be elaborate maybe 3'x3.x2' screened in, off the ground about 3 feet and with a ramp and an entry cone for re-entry. Just remove and plant 3 or 4 birds to work your bird on, you may want to introduce your dog to gun fire when they flush, just don't shoot over his head. Quail are normally easy to find . Never remove all the birds at one time, let half of them inside the pen so after the training is over the birds inside will call the released birds back in the pen. It doesn't cost much to feed and water them and you will always have birds at your disposal for training.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-25-2021 at 05:05 AM.