Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
How long does it take to potty train a puppy. >

How long does it take to potty train a puppy.

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How long does it take to potty train a puppy.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:20 AM
Spike

Default How long does it take to potty train a puppy.

To what extent does it take to potty prepare a young dog. House instructing your little dog is concerning tolerance, and encouraging feedback. The objective is to ingrain sensible propensities and fabricate an in adoration bond together with your pet. It as a rule takes 4-6 months for a little dog to be absolutely house prepared. Be that as it may, a few young doggies could take up to a year.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure what your question is, but it sounds like you already answered it?
Old 11-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

spammer I think
but on different note
when I got my last pup, he was house trained in about 30 minutes
12 weeks old
got him home, walked him about the house, and to back door(fenced in yard), and then outside, he went potty?
came inside
30 minutes later he was at the door, I let him out he went AGAIN
and that was it, , every time he had to go, he went to the door, I hung a bell and he would paw at it to get attention!
never had a single accident in my house or anyone else's his whole life
some times its that easy I guess LOL
Old 11-13-2018, 03:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some pups are easier than others in my experience. The trick is to let them out a lot and heap praise on them when to do something. If no one is home all day to work on house training with a pup you should not have a pup in the house.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

I've never "potty trained" any dog and the dog I have now was 10 years old when I got him. He was always outside and lived in a kennel 90% of the time. In my opinion, the absolute worst you can run in to as far as "potty habits". If there is a way to ruin a dog for that, that is it.

Dogs normally don't want to walk, eat, and sleep in feces. Their own nor any one else's. That is just natural. Penning them up or tied up all the time and you are just giving them no other choice, you are training them to crap and urinate where ever they happen to be standing because after just a few days that is the only choice they have.

Yet after just 3 or 4 weeks here, he was going out in the woods or other head high or more weeds to do his business all the time far as I could tell. Because I made it my mission and I had the time, retired, to concentrate on his making the switch in loyalty and dependence from his prior owner to me. Walking him MANY times a day, on a leash at first around the perimeter property lines. By making a point to check all his "access" areas where I didn't want him defecating. He was off his tie up rope in just a week or less. But find the poop right away. He has to poop SOMEWHERE, just not here. None of that nose rubbing, scolding, beating, NOTHING EVEN close. Even a coarse word was enough to hurt his feeling at this time in the transition. Just find the poop, grumble about it to your self, totally ignore the dog while you are doing this chore like he doesn't exist. Toss the poop where you WANT him to go. Walk back to the house and store the shovel where ever you are going to keep a poop shovel. Walk to the house door and call the dog and start your day over fresh.

Good dog, great, glad to see you too. Just don't poop there any more ok, ok. Let's walk the line.

I've had him a year now and it got down to the twenties last night, the yotes were howling with in a couple hundred yards of the house, both things that contribute to a long sleepless night with a dog outside on the porch or even in their own house. Now we been practicing "lay on the rug" a few hours at a time for a year now so it's not like just jumping up and expecting it all at once. But I let him in. Told him lay on the rug, "at the back door". He never got off that rug in 10 hours when I finished eating breakfast the next morning. He would stand up, turn around, lay down, but he never stepped off that run once.

We did this a couple weeks ago when the yotes were tearing up the neighborhood and he made it about 5 hours or so before he had to go out for something. I never watched, I just let him out and he never complained so I assume the yotes were gone and he went to his own house. We have hard wood floors and I just lay down on the couch to sleep and keep an eye on him until I really trust him. It don't take anything for me to hear his tags jingle, I KNOW If he stands up and then his nails click on the hardwood so I knew just as soon as he took a step or two to move off the rug and, I let him out.

He poops where he smells poop. If you watch, just about every dog will do it before they go, they will search for where everyone else goes or where they have been going. You show him where he is suppose to go by throwing his dropping over in the weeds where you want it. All I've done to show him where I don't want it, is show him where I DO WANT it.

Riding in the truck, I go to town for lunch about 5 days a week and he always goes in the truck bed. But he knows when I come back out, he gets a snack, a chance to relieve himself. Sometimes he needs to, sometimes not but he never makes a problem waiting. Most times it is and hour - hour and a half by the time I order, the wife shows up, we eat, she leaves and I finish the news paper.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Our new "hound" is Bailey and she is about 4 + months old. She has had about 5 # 1 accidents and 2 # 2 accidents all on the tiled floor. We take her out often and she is now hanging around the back door when she needs to go out. It is up to us to recognize her signs and take her out. She sleeps in a crate at night and stays there when Mrs. CI and I are out. No accidents in the crate so she gets the basics of keeping her space clean.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

It depends on the dog and the owner. I never had a pup that took 4 months to be house broken which is what you do, we do not have potties for our dogs. It is a process of letting them outside and praising them if they do anything. Leave them out anytime you think they may want to go outside. I have had puppies house trained in as little as three weeks bit it has never taken me 4 months. What you must remember is a pup cannot hold its water of fecal matter nearly as well as an adult dog. So you must leave them out many times a day and praise them when they do something. If you are not going to be at home or have someone else at home to let the pup out you will have a problem. In addition, if no one s at home the pup should be in a cage, pups do not like to foul their space, bit if no one is available to let them outside they will and you will be training them to do their business in the house. Having a dog in the house requires a commitment to the animal not to let is suffer when it needs to go outside because you do not have the time to be there for the pup. Better not to have one.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It depends on the dog and the owner. I never had a pup that took 4 months to be house broken which is what you do, we do not have potties for our dogs. It is a process of letting them outside and praising them if they do anything. Leave them out anytime you think they may want to go outside. I have had puppies house trained in as little as three weeks bit it has never taken me 4 months. What you must remember is a pup cannot hold its water of fecal matter nearly as well as an adult dog. So you must leave them out many times a day and praise them when they do something. If you are not going to be at home or have someone else at home to let the pup out you will have a problem. In addition, if no one s at home the pup should be in a cage, pups do not like to foul their space, bit if no one is available to let them outside they will and you will be training them to do their business in the house. Having a dog in the house requires a commitment to the animal not to let is suffer when it needs to go outside because you do not have the time to be there for the pup. Better not to have one.
I fully agree with you, if your at the 3-4 month place and your pup isn;t potty trained by now, there is a serious lack of training happening, IMO< or is a medical issue with the pup! which can happen, but most healthy pups with proper training will be trained pretty fast!
all dogs will learn at different time frames, but this sin;t a BIG challenge for them to learn, and should be one of the most basic things you TEACH a dog that lives indoors, like all training, you sty art with ONE things, and DON"T move on till they master it!
if you put in a 120+ days of training on potty training,?? and again its NOT trained?? you maybe need help training, and honestly maybe shouldn;t have waited this long to ask for it!.

training a puppy is all about being consistent, like all training, you get out of it , what you put into it!~
Old 06-18-2019, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Bailey is around 6 months old now and was recently spayed and all is well. She asks to go out and seems to be a smart dog.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The vast majority of my dogs are 80-90% housebroken in weeks not months. Some of it is diet, a low carbohydrate diet works out better than the cheap food. A dogs metabolism is different than yours, they digest a lot faster, with carbohydrates their blood can overload on sugar quick and they have to purge the excess sugar by urination. Part of it is timing, learn their routine and solve problems before they happen. The third part is scolding them when they do it in the house.
If you watch a Mother dog teach the youngsters it isn't in any way positive. Sure, praise when they do it right works some, so does scolding especially when you catch them in the act. Dogs have to know why they are being scolded and sometimes have trouble associating. Make sure they know why they are being scolded, don't overdo it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.