Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Bird Dogs trying to find missed birds. >

Bird Dogs trying to find missed birds.

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Bird Dogs trying to find missed birds.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Spike

Default Bird Dogs trying to find missed birds.

Amazing and relaxing at the same time to watch them run around to try to find the birds we missed.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:09 AM
Spike

It's amazing how they do that. maybe they have sharp eyes with amazing smelling capabilities that they posses that help them ... whatever it's - it's amazing.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Headline Outdoors
Amazing and relaxing at the same time to watch them run around to try to find the birds we missed.

https://youtu.be/9cW_fyqZ4XU

https://youtu.be/9cW_fyqZ4XU
Running after known missed birds, false retrieves? Won't that kind of teasing ruin your gun dogs? Boy who cried wolf?
I would give them the no bird command to call them off if I knew there were missed birds.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Running after known missed birds, false retrieves? Won't that kind of teasing ruin your gun dogs? Boy who cried wolf?
I would give them the no bird command to call them off if I knew there were missed birds.
How long have you been training bird dogs? Could you share you kennel name, or especially your website or YouTube channel working your dogs, so we could see more of the bird dogs you have trained in action?
Old 06-06-2021, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

well it might be nice to watch a bird dog hunt for missed game
in all honestly I think its wasted energy and teaching the dog to hunt things that are long gone
and in the process of the dog HUNTING missed game, it will also flush other game if its near by, NOT helping the hunter

a well trained bird dog, should; be called OFF after a miss, to NOT waste its time and spook other game

I don't have any video's to share o f my trained dogs, never felt the need to so!

But I doubt if you talk to any professional hunting dog trainers you will find any that encourage them to look for known missed birds!

and to be honest, I have seen many folks LOOSE there dogs when a dog runs MILES after a flying bird it was trying to recover
My last hunt in ND, I found a nit Britney, 8 miles away from where the hunters were hunting when dog ran off after a MISSED bird
I tracked down the dogs Owner due to info on collar
he wasn't all that happy,
as he LOANED his dogs to friends, and he was in Wisconsin at the time I called him and told him I found his dog

he then called his buddy's and got them to call em to pick the dog up!

Just One example of several bird dogs I found far from there owners over my life time!

ALL my dogs were trained to be called off on command, and I FEEL< its a very good idea, for safety and not wasting a dogs time, or spooking game!
all good reasons IMO!
and there si a BIG difference in having a dog search doe downed game, and MISSED game!
Old 04-07-2022, 03:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
well it might be nice to watch a bird dog hunt pokemon fire bird for missed game
in all honestly I think its wasted energy and teaching the dog to hunt things that are long gone
and in the process of the dog HUNTING missed game, it will also flush other game if its near by, NOT helping the hunter

a well trained bird dog, should; be called OFF after a miss, to NOT waste its time and spook other game

I don't have any video's to share o f my trained dogs, never felt the need to so!

But I doubt if you talk to any professional hunting dog trainers you will find any that encourage them to look for known missed birds!

and to be honest, I have seen many folks LOOSE there dogs when a dog runs MILES after a flying bird it was trying to recover
My last hunt in ND, I found a nit Britney, 8 miles away from where the hunters were hunting when dog ran off after a MISSED bird
as he LOANED his dogs to friends, and he was in Wisconsin at the time I called him and told him I found his dog

Just One example of several bird dogs I found far from there owners over my life time!

ALL my dogs were trained to be called off on command, and I FEEL< its a very good idea, for safety and not wasting a dogs time, or spooking game!
all good reasons IMO!
and there si a BIG difference in having a dog search doe downed game, and MISSED game!
That's amazing how they do that. maybe they have sharp eyes with amazing smelling capabilities that they posses that help them .

Old 04-07-2022, 03:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mrbb
well it might be nice to watch a bird dog hunt for missed game

all good reasons IMO!
I agree, if a brs is missed the dog should be called off, no sense wasting time looking for something that isn't there, a dog that continues to look for a wounded bird is however a different story.