Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 poor judgement in breeding >

poor judgement in breeding

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

poor judgement in breeding

Old 10-24-2003, 06:21 PM

Default poor judgement in breeding

I was reading a local newspaper and honestly saw someone advertising pointing lab puppies for sale that were bred from a lab and a GSP. They claimed they were well on their way to making a new breed of pointing labs. Whether or not you are a fan of the actual pointing labs or not, this is a very poor and misguided decision to breed these dogs together and try to pawn them off as pointing labs. The true pointing labs are breed through actual labs who have a strong genetic instinct to point thus trying to keep those traits in the bloodlines. I would discourage anyone from buying or falling for such a hoax as far as wanting a pointing lab. I think people like this are real damaging to those who try to keep the breed pure and REAL. This was not meant to be a discussion about pointing labs vs. GSP' s, setters, etc. It is about people trying to take short cuts to try and make a quick $$$. Any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: poor judgement in breeding

The seller as well as the ' breeder dogs' should be neutered.[:@]
Old 10-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Ran into the same thing here in Washington with some idiot who is breeding labs to English Setters. Doc E' s suggestion as to what we should do with these folks sounds like a good one to me. [:@]
Old 10-24-2003, 07:56 PM

OK, I' ll be the devil' s advocate.[>:]

So someone is breeding dogs to get a certain type of working dog. That is how most of the current breeds were formed. If I' m not " completely" mistaken weren' t Newfoundlands crossed with some of the european hunting dogs in order to get most of the current retrievers. What idiots for having crossbred dogs!

I would like to point out that calling it a pointing lab may be incorrect, because it is not 100% lab anymore, but it might be a wonderful working dog. Before the organized dog shows who really cared if the dog was pure something, they wanted good traits. How is that SO wrong now.

This individual may be an idiot, and I don' t want to defend them personally, but complete condemnation probably isn' t right either.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:04 PM

In my nick of the woods, they call these dogs mutts.

Besides if you were going to cross 2 breeds, you would cross a Bull Dog with a Shih Tzu to get a Bull Shi-tz.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:11 PM

Short-range is absolutely on-point (parden the pun) here. Every single dog we now enjoy the pleasure of hunting behind are the product of cross-breeding (albeit many years ago). If you don' t believe this look back on the history of the domestic dog and trace the roots. Had not others experimented early on we would not have the bird dogs that we enjoy today.

Again, not defending the individual who is advertising pointing labs as this is clearly a stretch before the litter has been evaluated. Let' s just not be too quick to condemn the practice of cross-breeding before we examine a bit of history!!
Old 10-26-2003, 07:14 PM

Those of you who are defending breeders such as this are missing a very important element in the breed development equation. These dogs are not being selectively bred with the intent of creating a new breed. They are being bred for the purpose of making a buck off the reputation of the gsp and labs strengths. The pups are being sold as crosses. There is no mention of a third or fourth generation of this new " super breed" of gundog. Just bringing a male to the female' s kennel and letting them have their fling is not breeding. Ask this guy if he has records of what dogs possess the traits he is breeding for, litter results, and a goal as to where his new breed is heading. My bet is that he wouldn' t be able to supply much in the way of an answer.

Simply put- he' s no breeder. If he truly believes that this cross constitues a new breed, he' s a colossal idiot. If he is what I believe poeple like this are- simply crossing two good dogs and selling based on a supposed genetic carryover- he' s a con man.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Spike

And who says they that they will have the good points of their parents and not their weaknesses?

To establish a new breed, you have to keep experimenting and culling for a long time. You can' t tell what you have until the dog is about 3. Buying one of those dogs is a crapshot.

They were doing the same with Springers and brits a while back and selling them as spritannys. Did some smart advertising, like " pups from AKC registered parents" or so.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

My buddy has a yellow Lab and a guy 2 doors down has a red bone hound. The lab while in heat got out and joined the red bone. The pups were great. He had a litter of pups that would tree geese.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:12 AM

Sad thing is...most pups from breedings like this will end up in the shelter and then euthanized. The guy crossing these dogs probably thinks the resulting pups will be great but in reality, they are mutts..and not many people will want them.

Not a very ethical thing to do!

Rick

Quick Reply: poor judgement in breeding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.