Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Finally!!!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Finally!!!

Several months ago I mentioned I wish my lily had a play mate, another dog to keep her company in the kennel pen.

I come in during deer season and find Kare on her lap top looking at puppy pictures. I ask her what she is doing and she says looking for a playmate for Lily. I tell her that I have criteria, a female, no needle teeth and a hunting breed. My first two hunting dogs were Brittney’s loved them both but for some reason I think about 1970 the breeders decided they should have docked tails, My brother had a Springer Spaniel in the 1970 one of the very best hunting dogs I have had the pleasure to hunt behind and got one of my one a few years later, who was good but not like my brothers. Today the breeders are also docking their tails so NO to springers.
Monday last week the 14 I got a E mail from a friend in N Dakota he had been offered a 18 month old Llewellyn, spayed and chipped a sister to one of his. I call the breeder in Missouri and am told that I have a fellow ahead of me wanting her but had to talk to others first. I was excited and hoping I could get her but when I was told her name was LILLY I was sure it was not meant to be even though I was ready to work around the name problem. I call my Lily, baby girl most of the time anyway. Tuesday morning we find out we were not going to get her.
Kare is back on her lap top searching for a dog for me. Older dogs she was finding were males, or females over 6 years old. Thursday afternoon she shows me two litters of Setters and one had a Female left only about 35 miles from us. Yes they are puppies with needle teeth but sometimes you have to lower your wants. We make an appointment to go see her on Saturday afternoon, Get there and it is 39F outside and 28F wind chill. The little girl was handed to Kare and taken out side to allow her to roam in the yard go potty and allow us to see her colors in the light. She was born on Ash Wednesday during a snow storm when we got 11 inches of snow yet she had her little nose to the ground and casting back and forth across the lawn and searched every nook and cranny in the rock wall too.
OK she has needle teeth but when she clamped on my thumb she was very soft mouthed. Also you’re a better man than me if you had decided to take a puppy and could resist a wiggling bit of fur that looked really good to me. She is a Ryman style English Setter from good blood lines. She will not be ready to come home till about April 9th.

No for sure name yet for her but at this time we are liking stormy, white like the hair of the x men girl storm too.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 03-21-2016 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gotta like setter puppies. She is a cuttie. I had a Ryman, I lost him last June. I see you got an orange belton, here is my orange belton Llewellyn, Brandy at 9 weeks.

And at 17 months.

I wish you best luck with that pup and lots of grouse in the upcoming years with her.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-21-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking dogs you have. Don't under stand the term or name Belton. Breeder lady said she was the Ryman type. Mother (dame) was heavy black marking with ticks of black. Dad (sire) was really a good mix of white and orange, orange was mostly on the body and legs.
My under standing was the Ryman type was a cross of English setter and Llewellyn George Ryman bred to try to get the English Setter away for their inter breeding of the 1900 and back to what George felt a English Setter looked like and be.
Lady told me that our pup full grown will be around 45 to 50 pounds and will work a lot closer for me that a Non Ryman type she also raises.

Al
Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Orange belton is white with orange ticking and larger places of color such as ears, Blue belton is the same only with black ticking. My Ryman was a Blue belton . He came from Decoverly Kennel in NE PA who got much of their brood stock from the guy who took over the Kennel from George Ryman's wife after he died. George was from NE PA. He bred a combo of show dogs with field trial dogs to get what he called dual setters, both looks and drive to hunt. There is a lot of Llewellyn in Ryman setters as is evident in their coloration. My Ryman Whisky, weighed 99 lbs and was not fat. I knew Rymans got larger than most setters but I didn't expect 99 lbs. I hurt so bad when I lost him last June I was not going to get another dog but my wife kept at me until she did and I am glad she pushed me. I didn't want to get another dog that I would always be comparing to Whisky so I wound up getting a Llewellyn from a kennel in the UP named Laurel Mt Llewellyns. Since my male was named Whisky I named her Brandy. She weighs 55 lbs. She and I are inseparable and she has a fantastic hunt drive and is a couch potato in the house. I have always kept my dogs in the house, I think they get to know you better that way. Picture of my Ryman below. I hope you really enjoy your pup, they don't stay pups for long. Keep us updated with pictures so we can see her grow

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-21-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those are sure some pretty dogs that both of you have. I lost my DD pointer in July of 2014 and just can't bring myself to getting another dog. It's a real shame they can't live to be 30+ years, as their life is so short compared to ours. I have to quit here because the tears are starting!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do it, I am so glad my wife harped on me to get another when I wasn't going to. You are still active, you can still follow a dog.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Brittany when I got married and when she died I went a real long time with out a dog but I had decided I wanted to retire a young man and started working 7 days a week 12 & 14 hour days so didn't have time to miss a dog. about 94 I think the wife said the son wanted a dog I told her no as he would tire of caring for one quickly just like the rabbits hamsters and gini pigs. She got him a chocolate lab and within two weeks as predicted the wife was caring for her. in 2000 wife wanted a dog of her own and got a springer a hard headed male that if let out loose would take off and come back when ever he got ready to. He became my check cord baby. Wife try's again 2001 when a friend of hers tells her about Visula a run of the litter a rescue had gotten. She was a hunting fool of a dog to expensive for my blood to buy one today. Then I got my own yellow lab mix from a friend of a friends who had let his lab out when in heat without watching over her.

Jewel the lab and Daisy the Visula.

Chip the lab and Bosco the Springer.

Enjoying the pool on a hot summer morning.

I bought my UP deer camp November 1991, Retired at 55 April 1st. 2001

My Daisy died June of 2013, Told wife no more dogs for me. I found my morning walks were hit and miss evening walks most days never happened. In August I got a pound pup Lily. Now I do early morning short walk, a long walk at 10:00 am for at least a hour and an evening walk about a hour before sunset and is fun watching The pup hunt a bit.

Al
Old 03-22-2016, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dogs do fill an empty spot in our lives. The friend I hunt birds with has a Visula and she is a real good hunter.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-22-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Those are sure some pretty dogs that both of you have. I lost my DD pointer in July of 2014 and just can't bring myself to getting another dog. It's a real shame they can't live to be 30+ years, as their life is so short compared to ours. I have to quit here because the tears are starting!
Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Do it, I am so glad my wife harped on me to get another when I wasn't going to. You are still active, you can still follow a dog.
This is good advice. There a few promising litters of DD on the ground and a couple expected in April. I sure wish I could get another one right now. Just couldn't do that to the old boy.

ATB
Old 03-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good looking dogs guys! I like the name Stormy it would fit her well, now you got the waiting game till you get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.