Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
methods on training a shed dog >

methods on training a shed dog

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

methods on training a shed dog

Old 01-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Spike

Default methods on training a shed dog

im looking to start training my 1 year old german shepherd to find sheds. I am currently working with him on retrieving i take a antler and use it just like a toy and have him fetch it and reward him when he retrieves it. i plan to continue this for a few weeks then i will start the hide and seek phase just wondering if theres anything else to do?
Old 01-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two things you really need with any dog is to "freeze in place", lay down and freeze. And to "recover", return to you and heel by your non gun side.

I use a two tone whistle, one side of the whistle is like a policemans whistle, freeze in place. And the other is a single tone, recover and heel.

Either that or work him on a long line (leash).

The first time you flush a Deer or a Jackrabbit. the last you see of your dog may be his (or her) rear end going over the next hill.

Breaking a dog of running Deer can be difficult. That is why you want to get the freeze in place and recover commands down pat before you flush a Deer.

I've taught most of my dogs to make loops, a pocket full of Cheddar Cheese bits or dog snacks helps. My dogs rarely get farther than fifty yards from me. Start with smaller loops and gradually let them get bigger as your confidence increases.

Put a bright orange collar on him. Ranchers see a dog running loose and they can get really ignorant about it. A warden sees you dogging Deer and they are likely to get excited.

If a warden asks, tell him you are training a young dog, which may or may not work.

The ranchers you will have to figure out on your own. I personally don't take much of their guff, which may or may not work out well for you.

The best solution is to keep your dog close and train them not to run Deer, worry livestock or horses.