Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Boykin or Springer

Old 04-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Spike

Default Boykin or Springer

Hey guys, I'm new to the website and I need some advice. I am hoping to buy my first hunting dog and I have narrowed it down to the Boykin spaniel and the Springer Spaniel. I am from northern Wisconsin, so I've grown up hunting ruffed grouse (without a dog). This dog would primarily be used for ruffed grouse, pheasants, and ducks. Which do you guys feel would be best? I went to a boykin breeder and his dogs were amazing! My only concern is they are quite small. Does that matter much for pheasants or ruffed grouse? People who have or have had these breeds have any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:17 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Size does not matter. What matters is will the dog hunt in the style you want.

Each breed listed are good flushing dogs and will be good retrievers. The Boykin breed is better known for its waterfowl retrieves more so than the Springer. The Springer is considered more of an "upland" dog but it also can be trained to water retrieve.

I have seen both in the field and have hunted behind a springer or two but o Boykins.
The con for me would be coat maintenance. That soft hair will stay wet for ever once wet and soft fur is a burr magnet. So they must be trimmed a bit to compensate for that.

If that is the breed you want - then find a breeder and visit their kennel as often as you can. And I would do a bit of internet searching to the pros and cons.

JW

Last edited by JW; 04-15-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Spike

While I know little about Boykin's I had several Springers who were good upland hunters. You will have more choices from breeders with Springers then Boykins for what that's worth. Find a field bred Springer, work with him and you will have a great hunting companion for many years.