Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Look for advice: English Pointer vs Vizsla? >

Look for advice: English Pointer vs Vizsla?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Look for advice: English Pointer vs Vizsla?

Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Spike

Default Look for advice: English Pointer vs Vizsla?

Hi everyone! I just joined this site, and I am hoping you guys can help me out with something. I have been wanting to get a new puppy for sometime now. My black lab Bindie is getting older she'll be 10 this summer, and I want to get involved in the more dog activities like agility, obedience trials etc. (which Bindie is too old for) so I want to start looking for a puppy so I can train it to do these activities. So I have been looking up the many different breeds in this world to which would make a good fit and I have found two breeds that have gained my interest and fit the kind of dog I'm looking for. I have been pondering between a English Pointer and a Vizsla. I have never owned either....(I have never even seen a Pointer in person before). I have seen a working with a couple Vizslas at the boarding kennel I work at. I like the temperament of the Vizslas I know, as well as their size. They are big dogs but do not take up a lot of space either. I have read that Pointers are of similar size but a bit bigger. I have been leaning more toward a Pointer but Ive never met on so I don't have a great sense of what they are like.

Anyways, this is my lifestyle and maybe some of you can tell me which breed might be a better match.

First off...I am not a hunter so, my new dog will be just a best friend, but I have been thinking of getting involved in field trials for recreation...just for fun. I know both of these breeds are active athletes...which I'm not I have to admit. I'm not a couch potato...but I aint no marathon runner either. I am moderately active, but I wouldn't mind getting more active and getting in better shape. which one of these breeds would do better with small animals like cats, I have two. I also babysit my 1yr old cousin often, I know both breed can be boisterous, but with proper socialization, training and exercise which dog would be better with an active toddler.

Which of these two breed is easier to train, I have read that pointers can be stubborn and difficult to train especially potty training. I am looking for a even temperament, active energy but not endless never stops constantly high energy. I am looking for a dog that is active enough to go for a long bike ride or run an agility course, but is just as comfortable and willing to sit at home and watch TV. A dog with an off switch would be nice! The kind of dog I want in general is a medium-large size dog(no bigger that 90lbs; no smaller than 30-40lbs) with a short/smooth coat for easy maintenance grooming. One who gets along with the world and everyone in it, gentle/patience with small children, and can be trained to do fun things like agility.

If anyone can tell me which of these breeds or possibly another, would fit what I am looking for better, that would be awesome!

Please and Thank you!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are looking for a house dog or lap dog, not a hunting dog, do yourself and the dog a favor and get a breed that is not a bird dog. Bird dogs are high energy dogs that must have exercise and really should be allowed to do what hundreds of years of breeding prepared them to do.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

If in fact you are a non-hunter, I recommend you get a Vizsla.....................

If you were a hunter, I'd recommend the English pointer !

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-31-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Spike

Hi, thanks for your replies. Oldtimr I do understand these dogs are high energy and I am more the willing and capable of making sure they get the exercise they require even if they aren't used for hunting. I live on 5 acres with plenty of time and space to tend to their exercise needs and I also plan on training the dog for agility. But I have done some more research on these breeds and believe they may be to much energy for me. I have been looking into Brittany Spaniels and I like their size and personality better. I have handled a few Brittanys at my work. I have really been thinking about getting one. I now they are high energy too but I think they are more the kind of dog I have been looking for.

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would recommend a Border collie or even a rescue mix if you want to run agility trials. Bird dogs were made to hunt, lots of time and money went into making them that way. My never to be humble opinion of course.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I would recommend a Border collie or even a rescue mix if you want to run agility trials. Bird dogs were made to hunt, lots of time and money went into making them that way. My never to be humble opinion of course.
Couldn't agree with you more Oltimr! I flat out feel it's terrible to think about getting a dog that's bred for hunting and not use them for that. IMHO the OP should go to a local shelter and look for a dog like you mentioned and forget one form a place that is breeding hunting dogs.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agility trials, Border Collie or a Munsterlander (English Spaniel). The English Spaniel and Munsterlander look almost identical, the difference is in the temperament. Munsterlanders are almost universally lovers and really affectionate, eager to please. The down side is they are sensitive and don't do well with harsh commands, you have to coax them with kindness.

Vislas are popular now and with most popular breeds many breeders are in it for the bucks. It may look like a Visla, but may act like a neurotic idiot.

Want a bigger dog think about a Weimaraner. They also come in flavors, mine was a good family dog, a good watch dog, an excellent gun dog, but a poor retriever. He was breed for his nose, his kin were scent trial champions. He had some of the temperament of a hound, but changed gears as soon as the rifle came out of the gun cabinet. I've seen him follow a blood trail at a full run with maybe one tiny drop of blood every 20-25 yards or so, his nose was unbelievable. I had a pair of Weimaraners that were born bird dogs, they would point and flush. I never had to train them a bit. What I'm saying is it may be the same breed, but different lines have different dominant talents.

The best trials dog I ever had was a Boxer, Shepard mix, Boxer dominant in looks but with a longer snout. There was nothing I couldn't teach her that she wouldn't learn as long as I was able to communicate my wishes to her. She was nearly as fast as a speed dog, but could run forever. She had a lot of bottom and just kept on going. She'd run Yotes until they collapsed. She was eye dominant and what the English would call a lurcher. She was whistle trained and seemed able to anticipate what I was after, an outstanding stock dog. Sometimes you just get lucky. She was a sure enough Frisby freak and really acrobatic. Best all around dog I ever had the privilege to bond with.