Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Looking at getting my first coon dog want pros and cons >

Looking at getting my first coon dog want pros and cons

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Looking at getting my first coon dog want pros and cons

Old 09-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Spike

Default Looking at getting my first coon dog want pros and cons

Looking at getting my first coon dog to train. I would like some pros and cons between Blues and Walkers. I like how both dogs look but this being my first hunting dog I could use some help.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

I am not a coon hunter but I live in an area where most guys have a dog. From listening and talking with them they seem to all like Walkers. Not to step on anyone's toes or be politically incorrect, but they make jokes about Blueticks being dumb.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Walkers are totally awesome. Great for running rabbit,deer and bear too. Very distinct howl, and an easy breed to work with. They are a great big suck that is always eager to please.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Spike

Redmag I see that from both sides on different face book pages. I really like both dogs breeds and I have a guy near me selling blues for $75 he hunts them for coon but I also see a lot more walkers in on coon hunting pages then blues.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Spike

walkers, black and tans, and redbones are great. dont like blueticks at all
Old 10-14-2014, 04:30 AM
Spike

Own a couple of blueticks, hunt with guys who have walkers and B&T. We don't have any trouble getting coon treed with any of these hounds. If your just going to be a pleasure/hide hunter, grab you a pup out of a couple of proven hounds and have at it. If comp. hunting is in your future then it's tough to beat walkers( a bluetick took 2nd at the ukc worlds this year). I really don't care what coat their wearing as long as they show me the meat more times than not, have enough brains to handle, and aren't mean. Lot's of pups for sale out there, do some research and find the traits you want......hunt with the parents if you can. Don't believe titles, a slick handler can put a win on a poodle!! Good luck.