Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Help with my lab

Old 09-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Spike

Default Help with my lab

I have a one year old lab. Right now I have her where she will listen very well to me. She understands sit, stay, and will retrieve her bumpers and duck on command. I can make her sit and stay and not fetch until released, then she is like lighting getting it and bringing it back to me. My problem is when I take her to the dove field she acts like she's had no training. She will still sit and stay, but will not watch for birds which I understand comes with experience. However when we're out there she won't even retrieve her bumper. I'm taking her by myself so there's not a bunch if action in the field around us. What is causing her to act up when we're in the field?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Spike

Some dogs aren't used to watching for small birds in the air after a few times of you shooting some birds that land right in front of her or she see's the birds fall she will catch on naturally. I used to train retrievers with trever tindle of muddy river gun dogs
hope this helped
Old 09-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should never mix birds and bumpers in the same session -- except for Blind Retrieves.

Also, this is common behavior for a dog that has not been Force Fetched. You have not FF your dog --- Right ?

Are you following any particular training program ? If so, which one?

Last edited by Doc E; 09-17-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:15 AM
Spike

No particular program. What exactly is force fetch? And how do I make her do it. While training in yard no matter what distractions there are, she knows to listen and stay/retrieve on command. Once in the field though it's a different story.

Last edited by gamsmith; 09-18-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gamsmith View Post
No particular program. What exactly is force fetch? And how do I make her do it. While training in yard no matter what distractions there are, she knows to listen and stay/retrieve on command. Once in the field though it's a different story.
It sounds like you have a good dog with plenty of potential.
To turn a good dog into a great dog, you need to do some great training.

Go to http://www.evan-graham.net/ and take a thorough look through Evan Graham's site. Evan is the author of the "Smartwork" program of training.
There is an explanation of FF, a number of videos etc.