Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Breaking pup to gunfire

Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Spike

I think she's a little freaked out by the noise, but I reassure her and she calms down. She sees that the other dog associates it with pleasure. I've only shot about a half a box over her, and haven't killed anything, lol. We'll see how it goes. Going to try grouse next week, maybe at least get her on some live scent. She's definitely interested in birds. She perks up at songbirds, geese, gulls, whatever. Also, she loved the leftover pheasant feathers from my garden this spring. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

You do what you to do, it is your dog, if she is freaked out by the noise, which is what many of us told you, you are doing it wrong. Don't ask for advice from people with experience if you are just going to continue going down the wrong road.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Oldtimr.don't mean to ask a dumb question,but what breed is your dog in the picture you posted?
Beautiful markings.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not a dumb question at all. He is, was a Ryman setter from Decoverly Kennels. I lost him in May, the best canine companion I ever had and would hunt a cripple until he found it, never lost a bird with him. Name was Whisky. My Icon is a Llewelin setter female I am bringing up now. Here is Brandy in a quiet moment.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 09-13-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. Both are good looking dogs.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by waiting for a gift
I have a 6 month old lab mix pup, half german shorthair. I started by firing .22 pistol a few times on walks. Now, in the dove field when I shoot she runs up to me and jumps up on me and mouths and bites me. What's the deal? I try to reassure her and calm her down. My 10 year old neutered male lab mix is also present, but he doesn't do anything different than normal.
Like already said, the accustoming to gunfire should be done with well laid plan. And using plan like that helps in your situation and prevents the situation from turning into worse. Casually firing with a gun is not a good idea.

My dog had already heard distant gunfire when I executed the plan to accustom it to gunfire. It happened on a field. I standed on the field with my dog and my assistant shot with a .22 pistol at about 130 yards away and he slowly approached us (shooting now and then), until he shot couple shots right beside us. Then we repeated the same thing with shotgun. Following day we had very short session with shotgun and that was it. The dog was with me, and he could observe me and the shooter, my reactions, etc. It makes it much easier.

If there would have been some problems in the accustoming, it would of course have been longer and more complex.

Last edited by DTcker; 11-15-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

It can take a long time.

Start off soft and afar......................................worth a lifetime of service !!!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default My pup

Sami has turned out to be a fine bird dog. She cooperates very well in the field, is not the slightest bit gun shy, has a decent nose but still inclined to romp and try to flush and chase. Retrieving is always a dance, but I always end up with the game.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by waiting for a gift
Sami has turned out to be a fine bird dog. She cooperates very well in the field, is not the slightest bit gun shy, has a decent nose but still inclined to romp and try to flush and chase. Retrieving is always a dance, but I always end up with the game.
From what you just posted it sounds like a nice dog, but not a well trained bird dog from the several negatives you mentioned.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
From what you just posted it sounds like a nice dog, but not a well trained bird dog from the several negatives you mentioned.
I have to agree. But as long as they are having fun that's the best you can hope for I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.