Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
German Wirehaired should I buy >

German Wirehaired should I buy

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

German Wirehaired should I buy

Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Spike

Default German Wirehaired should I buy

There is a beautiful GWP for sale near me for a fantastic price. The price reflects the fact that the owner took her out and introduced her to the gun by shooting over her. She is 2 years old and sounds like lacks training, she points in the field at everything but hasn't been trained to focus in on birds. I am new to owning a gun dog, have hunting with a few already trained. I can afford a month or two with a pro if I need to, but my wife says no to a puppy at this point. Do I take a chance on this one and see if she can be trained out of the gunshyness?
Thanks,
Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jakemroyal
There is a beautiful GWP for sale near me for a fantastic price. The price reflects the fact that the owner took her out and introduced her to the gun by shooting over her. She is 2 years old and sounds like lacks training, she points in the field at everything but hasn't been trained to focus in on birds. I am new to owning a gun dog, have hunting with a few already trained. I can afford a month or two with a pro if I need to, but my wife says no to a puppy at this point. Do I take a chance on this one and see if she can be trained out of the gunshyness?
Thanks,
***It won't be easy if she's gunshy due to someone who didn't know what they were doing, but if she's out of good stock it can be done and I'd take the chance and have a pro work with her. The GWP breed is very smart and I'd bet she'll come around with someone who can spend some time with her and knows what they're doing.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Spike

it is an issue that with time, patience, and perseverance, along with proper training, can be overcome. I'd consider giving the dog a chance based on its age too
Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jakemroyal
Thanks,
I currently own and have owned GWP dogs. There are several things you should be aware of if you are considering getting one. Do you have the room for one? They are in need of a good size yard. They are not good with cats, as in they eat them. They need to be worked about everyday to keep busy, they have a huge desire to learn and please their owner. They can be aloof, one man dogs, that said every one I have owned was great with kids, adults, some where very protective. You should be an avid bird hunter to own one, that is what they live for. If you have any other ? let me know, and I will try and help
Old 05-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Spike

Thanks for the responses. We don't own, nor will we ever own, cats. I do have a good yard and my wife is a runner and wants to have a dog to go with and I do have time for almost daily field work. I have been a pretty avid upland game hunter, just lacked a dog to go with so I may give this a whirl!